When the UAN, or EPF Passbook, is generated, the EPFO member has to have a registered mobile number of the member, for which the EPFO has made provisions.
EPFO (Employees Provident Fund Organisation) members now have a Universal Account Number (UAN). The Universal Account Number is a 12-digit number assigned to each member of the Employee Provident Fund. This figure does not change throughout an employee’s career. If an employee switches jobs, he will be assigned a new EPF member ID.
EPFO members can use SMS to access a variety of services on their registered mobile numbers. When signed up for the first time for the EPFO portal, new members must register their mobile phones.
EPFO members can use SMS to access a variety of services on their registered mobile numbers.
EPF Mobile Number Registration Online
Before we can learn how to change mobile number in EPFO, we must first understand how to register your mobile number for the first time on the EPFO Member portal. When the UAN is created, the EPFO member must log in to the EPFO member portal to enable it.
The EPFO member must take the following steps to unlock the UAN:
- Step 1: Go to the EPFO Portal.
- Step 2: Select the option ‘Activate UAN’ present on the right side of the screen under the category of the ‘important links’ option.
- Step 3: Enter the UAN number, date of birth, email ID, and mobile number.
- Step 4: Receive the OTP[one-time password] on the given mobile number.
- Step 5: Submit the given OTP to activate the UAN, which will register the number to the EPF account.
EPFO Mobile Number Change Online Process
This method is for members who have already registered with another number but want to change the existing registered number to a new one.
Here are the steps to update your mobile number in an EPF account online:
- Step 1: Sign in with your UAN and password to the EPFO participant web portal.
- Step 2: From the “Manage” menu, select the “Contact Details” option.
- Step 3: Choose “Check Mobile No.” from the drop-down menu. You’ll be taken to a new segment after doing so. Double-check your latest mobile number details.
- Step 4: After that, choose “Get Authorization Pin” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 5: An OTP will be sent to the new phone number.
- Step 6: Then, in the provided room, enter the OTP and press “Submit.”
- Step 7: The EPFO portal will be updated with the most recent mobile number.
EPF Mobile Number Change Offline Method
Here are the steps to understand how to change mobile number in PF account offline:
- Fill out the relevant form with the updated phone number and make sure that this number is linked to your Aadhaar card.
- Once the form is signed and approved by your employer, it will be forwarded to the regional PF office for approval.
- After successful registration of the new mobile number, you will receive a confirmation SMS from the EPFO.
While updating your phone number, ensure that your name in the EPF portal matches with that mentioned in the bank account linked to your PF account.
Services through EPF Mobile
There are several services a member can avail of through EPF Mobile SMS services or the UMANG app. They are-
How to Change EPF Mobile Number in Case You Forget the Password
Usually, one may not have to log into the EPFO portal that much unless there is an important activity. Thus, due importance is not given to the password and can be forgotten at most times.
Over time, when there comes a requirement to change the mobile number and the password is forgotten, there is a way to change the number.
The following are the simple steps to update the new number and change the password:
- Step 1: Select the “Forgot Password” link on the EPFO Member web portal.
- Step 2: Fill in the UAN number as well as the Captcha code. Then press the “Submit” button.
- Step 3: Click the “No” button if you want to change the mobile number details.
- Step 4: Click “Verify” after entering your name, gender, and birth date.
- Step 5: Select Aadhaar or PAN and fill in the required details. Then, to confirm the appeal, press “Verify.”
- Step 6: Once you’ve verified your details, the device will prompt you to input your most recent mobile number. Fill in the current mobile number information and click the “Get OTP” button.
- Step 7: The OTP will be sent to the most recent mobile phone number. After entering the OTP, press “Verify.”
- Step 8: If the OTP has been checked, a new segment will appear below, telling you to double-enter your new password. After that, double-check your new password and press the “Submit” button.
- Step 9: Finally, the device is upgraded with the most recent telephone, and the password is successfully reset.
Benefits of EPF Mobile Number Change
- Enablement of checking EPF balance by simply sending a text message from the registered mobile number.
- The claim status can be effortlessly checked with the help of an updated mobile number.
- SMS is updated every time there has been a contribution to the account that confirms the successful deposit of the amount.
- When the account holder of the account withdraws the EPF amount and initiates the process of the same, they will receive an SMS update on the registered mobile number stating the amount.
- In order to transfer funds from an old EPF to a new EPF, the mobile number has to be registered.
- While initiating activities on the EPF portal, there is a need to validate the process, and the validation can only be done through the help of the OTP, which is mainly sent to the registered mobile number.
Explore Related Calculators