Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin (PMAYG), earlier known as Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY), is a scheme for rural housing by the Indian Government. This social welfare program was initiated to meet the objectives of the “Housing for All” scheme by the year 2022.
It aims to provide a 25-square meter pucca house including basic amenities to beneficiaries of the scheme. The houses provided will have certain special features such as it would be disaster-resilient, low cost, and will be built keeping in mind the socio-cultural and geo-climatic factors.
In this article
Key Features of Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana
Some of the key features of the PMAYG scheme are as follows:
- The construction cost of the houses will be shared in a 60:40 ratio between the Central and State governments in plain areas, i.e. Rs.1.20 lakh of assistance for each unit.
- For rural areas located in the Himalayan states, northeastern states, and the Union Territory (UT) of Jammu & Kashmir, the ratio is 90:10, i.e. the central government will bear 90% of the cost and the state government will finance 10% amounting up to Rs.1.30 lakh of assistance for each unit.
- 100% financing will be offered by the Central government for the construction of houses in Union Territories including the newly-formed union territory of Ladakh.
- Beneficiaries are provided a sum of Rs.90.95 per day of unskilled labor from MGNREGS.
- Houses built under this scheme will focus on quality construction by employing skilled masons who can provide good design and local materials
- Beneficiaries are selected using parameters from the Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) and verified by Gram Sabhas.
- The PMAY Gramin scheme is associated with other central government schemes such as Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBMG) through which, the assistance of up to Rs.12,000 for the construction of toilets will be provided in collaboration with MGNREGS or other schemes.
- Payments are made electronically directly to the beneficiary’s Aadhar linked bank accounts or post office accounts
- Beneficiaries who wish to avail of a loan under this scheme will be facilitated to get monetary assistance of up to Rs. 70,000 from a lending institution
Eligibility Criteria for PMAY G
There are certain parameters based on which beneficiaries are identified for the PMAY G scheme. Once these criteria are fulfilled, individuals are added as beneficiaries in the list:
- Families who do not have their own houses or houses that have zero, one, or maximum two rooms with a kutcha wall and roof.
- Households that do not have a literate adult above 25 years of age
- Households without an adult male member between 16 and 59 years of age
- Households without any adult member aged between 16 and 59 years
- Families without any physically disabled members and with a disabled member
- Landless candidates who are earning income from casual labour
- Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Minorities
The government will be focusing on beneficiaries that have the worst living conditions and will be relying on the SECC (Socio-Economic and Caste Census) Data of 2011. Furthermore, if someone who has a motorized two, three or four-wheeler vehicle, agricultural equipment, or even a fishing boat, they will be excluded from availing the benefits of this scheme.
Additionally, the exclusion will happen if:
- The individual has a Kisan Credit Card with a spending limit of more than or equal to Rs.50,000
- A member of the family is a government employee with an income of more than Rs.10,000 per month
- A household that has a member who is paying professional or income tax
- Families having a landline connection or own a refrigerator
Documents Required to Apply for PMAYG
Below-given are some of the documents or details required to apply for the PMAY G scheme:
- Aadhaar number
- Bank account details
- Document providing consent to use Aadhaar information on behalf of the beneficiary
- MGNREGA-registered beneficiary job card number
- Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) G registration number of the beneficiary
How to Apply/Add PMAYG Beneficiary
There are four verticals to the beneficiary registration process:
- Personal details
- Bank account details
- Convergence details
- Details from the concerned office
Individuals can contact their ward members or visit the respective Gram Panchayat to apply for PMAY G. These authorities will then convey and get the details processed related to the application under this scheme. Individuals also have to fill up a PMAY application form available from the respective Gram Panchayats.
In case an individual is unable to do the above steps, he/she can also get the help of a third-party to apply. In the case of a third-party, however, the concerned party needs to obtain a consent document from that individual regarding the usage of his/her Aadhaar.
How to Check PM Awas Yojana Gramin List 2020?
Individuals who have registered for PMAY – G can check for their names in the PMAY – Gramin list with or without their registration number. The initial steps are similar for both methods, that are mentioned below.
- Go to the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin.
- Hover to the menu bar on the homepage and click on the ‘Stakeholders’ option.
- A dropdown menu will appear; select the ‘IAY/PMAYG Beneficiary’ option.
- On the next page, individuals can check their name with or without the registration number as per the instructions given below.
With registration number
To check using a registration number, individuals will have to provide their registration number in the field provided there and click on ‘Submit’. If their name is on the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin list, they can further check the related details.
Without registration number
To check whether the beneficiary’s name is on the list without registration number, individuals need to click the ‘Advanced Search’ option on that page.
The details required to be mentioned first are – State, District, Block, Panchayat, etc. After that, the list can be checked by providing any of the below-mentioned information.
- BPL number – account number is also required
- Sanction order
- Father/husband name
Once any information has been filled, click on ‘Search’ to check whether the name appears in the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin list.
- How can I avail of the interest subsidy benefit under this scheme?
Under the PMAY-G scheme, the subsidies are drawn from the National Housing Bank. It will be credited to the bank account linked to your beneficiary number.
- Is there any limit on the tenure for which this scheme is available?
Yes. The scheme can be availed for a maximum duration of 20 years.
- Do I have to consult with my local Gram Sabha to get approval for this scheme?
It depends on whether your town/village has a Gram Sabha. If it does, you will have to consult it. Else, all due diligence will be completed by a concerned bank.