Account holders can link Aadhaar Number with Bank Account online and offline. You can link Aadhaar to bank account online using the bank's mobile app or internet banking. However, the user must register with the bank to use the service. The following are a few basic procedures if you wish to link an Aadhar card to bank account, both online and offline.
Aadhaar Link to Bank Account through Branch - Offline
Follow the steps listed below to link Aadhaar Card to Bank Account through Branch via an offline mode-
- Pay a visit to your bank’s branch.
- Carry your Aadhaar or e-Aadhaar card.
- Fill out the aadhar card link with bank account form.
- Attach a copy of your Aadhaar card along with the Aadhar card link with bank account form.
- After completing the verification procedure, the branch will link your Aadhaar and your account.
- You will receive an SMS with the status of your request on your registered mobile number.
Link Aadhaar Number with Bank Account Online
Below-mentioned are the ways to link your Aadhaar Number with Bank Account in an Online mode-
Aadhar Bank Link through Internet Banking
If you want to connect your Aadhaar and bank account, you may also do it using internet banking.
The steps are as follows-
- Log in to your bank's internet banking account.
- Fill in your username and password.
- Click on the "Update Aadhaar with Bank Accounts(CIF)" sub-part under the "My Account" section.
- For Aadhaar Registration, enter your profile password.
- A page will appear where you must enter your Aadhaar number twice.
- Click on the "Submit" button after inputting your Aadhaar Card number.
- On successful filling of your Aadhaar, you will receive a notification.
Aadhar Link Bank Account through Online Mobile App
Many banks provide the option to link your bank account to your Aadhaar number via their mobile app.
The following are the actions that you must generally take-
- Get the mobile banking app from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
- Open the app and input the credentials for your account (username and password). If there is any security verification, finish it as well.
- Select “Requests”/”Service” or any other version.
- Look for an option that reads “Link Aadhaar”/”Update Aadhaar Number” or anything similar.
- Choose the account to which you want to link your Aadhaar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number (you may be asked to re-enter it for confirmation).
- Accept any relevant terms and conditions.
- Choose “Update” or ”Confirm” or any other option.
Aadhar and Bank Linking through ATM
To link your Aadhaar to your bank account at an ATM, typically follow these steps-
- Go to your bank's ATM.
- Insert the debit card linked to your bank account and enter your PIN.
- In the "Services" menu, select the "Registrations" option and choose "Aadhar registration" to link your Aadhar card.
- Please enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number (you may need to re-enter it for confirmation).
How to Check Aadhar Card Link to Bank Account?
You can verify whether you have a bank account linked to your Aadhaar by accessing UIDAI's website, using your mobile phone, or using the mAadhaar app.
Check Aadhaar and Bank Account Linking Status Online
Take these simple steps to verify the status of your bank account and Aadhaar link on the UIDAI website-
- Go to the UIDAI website (https://uidai.gov.in/my-aadhaar/avail-aadhaar-services.html) and select "Check Aadhaar/Bank Linking Status."
- You will be redirected to the bank mapper page, where you must provide your UID/VID and security code and click "Send OTP."
- Your UIDAI-registered mobile number will receive an OTP. Enter the OTP in the space given and click the "Submit" option.
- The screen will display the bank account connected with Aadhaar.
- If you have numerous bank accounts with the same bank, you must visit the bank to validate the associated bank account number.
Check Aadhaar and Bank Account Linking Status Through Mobile
You can also use the USSD code from your mobile phone number to verify the status of your Aadhaar and bank account link. This service is only available if your mobile number is linked to your Aadhar card in the UIDAI database.
Follow the steps below-
- Call *99*99*1# using your UIDAI-registered mobile number.
- Then enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Re-enter the Aadhaar number and click the "Send" option.
The status of your bank account will be displayed if it is linked to your Aadhaar. If no results are displayed, your bank account may possibly not be linked with your Aadhaar.
Check Aadhaar and Bank Account Linking Status Through mAadhaar
You can also check the status of your Aadhaar bank account linking via the mAadhaar app by complying with the steps outlined below-
- Login to the mAadhaar app
- Choose 'Aadhaar-Bank Acc Link Status' from the 'My Aadhaar' menu.
- After that, type your Aadhaar number and security captcha, and click the 'Request OTP' option.
- Input the OTP received on your registered mobile phone number and click 'Verify' to check your Aadhaar Bank account linking status.
It is worth noting that if you do not want government welfare benefits from your bank account, you do not need to link it with your Aadhaar. According to the Supreme Court's verdict on Aadhaar linking with other instruments, integrating your bank account and mobile number with Aadhaar is not obligatory.
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card and Bank Account
The following are the benefits of connecting an Aadhaar number to a bank account-
- Aadhaar Card is a legal document. Aadhaar Card will be recognized as a legal Know Your Customer (KYC) document, facilitating bank account opening.
- Direct government credit for subsidies such as LPG, kerosene, ration, etc.
- It will enable the direct crediting of MNREGA wages, welfare payments, scholarships, pensions, and other benefits by the government.
- It minimizes breaches of public expenditure, helping sustain transparency and accountability.
- The Aadhaar Enabled Payment System's (AEPSonline) interoperable design allows a citizen to access his account anywhere in the nation.