Any NRI with a valid Indian passport can apply for an Aadhaar card in India. An Indian citizen becomes an NRI (Non-Resident Indian) if he or she moves out of the nation for the purpose of a job, education, or other activities and stays in the country for less than 182 days in the previous fiscal year.
Aadhar card for NRI is important, particularly for any NRI having an income source in the country. It is identification proof for the NRIs to get a government job in India. One can get an Aadhar for NRI by applying for it at the nearby Aadhaar enrolment centre.
Read further about the eligibility criteria and the process of applying for an Aadhaar card for NRI.
Aadhaar Card for NRI - Eligibility Criteria
A foreign national must meet the following criteria to be eligible for an Aadhar card for NRI:
- The NRI should mandatorily be present in India for at least 182 days in a year before applying for an Aadhaar card.
- Any Non-Resident Indian (NRI), including minors, should have a valid Indian Passport to be eligible for an Aadhar card application.
Given below is the list of individuals who are eligible to apply for an NRI Aadhar card:
- Long-Term VISA (LTV) holders who belong to a minority community or Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
- Nepal and Bhutan nationals who have a valid passport or other supporting documents.
- An Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and other resident foreigners have been in India for more than 182 days in the past year.
- Any resident foreigner with a valid registration certificate or permit issued by an FRRO/FRO. They also should not be Nepal or Bhutan nationals nor have any OCI card or LTV document.
Aadhaar Card for NRI - Application Process
Any NRI who meets the eligibility criteria can apply for an Aadhaar card by visiting the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra or enrolment centre. It is advisable to book an appointment online through the official UIDAI portal.
How to book an appointment for NRI Aadhar Application?
- Go to UIDAI's official website (https://uidai.gov.in/en/ ).
- Go to ‘My Aadhaar’ and click on ‘Book an appointment’ from the drop-down menu.
- Now, on the next page, select your city/location and click on ‘Proceed to book appointment’.
- You will be asked to enter your mobile number, mail ID and the captcha code before generating the OTP.
- Now enter the OTP and select the available slot to book your appointment.
- Now, visit the nearby enrolment centre along with the relevant documents depending on your applicant type.
- Fill out the Aadhar enrolment form and enter all the details accurately.
- Now, in the next step, go for the Aadhaar biometric process.
- After completion, confirm all the details once again before proceeding with submission.
- Collect the acknowledgement slip, which has your 14-digit enrolment ID, along with the date and time of enrolment. This can be used to check your Aadhaar Card Status online.
Documents Required to Get Aadhar Card for NRI
After booking an appointment online, the applicant must carry the essential documents to the Aadhar enrolment centre for verification.
Here is the list of supporting documents required to get an Aadhaar for NRI:
- A valid ID proof: This can include your passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Driving License
- Address Proof: Passport or any photo ID card that can prove residence.
- Birth Proof: Birth certificate or Class 10 mark sheet that mentions your date of birth.
Along with these, foreign nationals also need to submit the following supporting documents:
For Overseas Citizens of India (OCI)
- A valid passport or OCI card can serve as ID proof.
For Long Term Visa Holders
- A long-term visa document and passport can be used as a supporting documents.
For Bhutan and Nepal Nationals
In case a person does not have a Bhutan or Nepal passport, they can show either of these documents:
- Bhutanese/Nepalese Citizenship Certificate.
- Photo Identity Certificate issued by Nepalese Mission/Royal Bhutanese Mission.
- Voter ID Card issued by the Election Commission of Bhutan or Nepal.
For Other Resident Foreigners
- A valid registration certificate or permit issued by an FRRO/FRO.
- A valid VISA and Passport.
Important Points to Note about Aadhar for NRI
Aadhaar for NRIs in India may be required in the following instances.
- KYC (Know Your Customer) process has been streamlined: To use various financial services in India, KYC (Know Your Customer) is required. As an NRI, having an Aadhaar for NRI might help to simplify and expedite the application process.
- Income Tax Returns: According to Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act of 1961, having an Aadhaar Card is required to file your Income Tax Returns in India. This greatly simplifies and expedites the procedure.
- Trusted ID proof: The Aadhaar for NRIs is one of India's most generally accepted forms of identification. It is frequently necessary for real estate or banking transactions and is required for specific career prospects, particularly in the government sector.