Mutual Fund AMCs or Asset Management Companies manage their clients’ pool of money by investing them in various asset classes.
In this article we will discuss the best mutual fund companies in India, their Assets under Management (AUM) and other relevant details.
What is AUM?
Assets under Management or AUM is the total market value of all the assets managed by mutual fund companies.
AMCs manage a very significant amount of money. However, the total Assets under Management (AUM) can vary greatly in case of different AMCs.
The following is a list of top 10 AMC in India 2021:
Note: The list has been prepared in the descending order of Asset Under Management (AUM). The data has been taken from Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI). This is not an advice that AUM should be considered foremost for investing in a mutual fund. It is solely for educational and informational purposes.
|AMC||Average AUM (July-September, 2021)
|SBI Mutual Fund||5.78 lakh crore|
|ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund||4.47 lakh crore|
|HDFC Mutual Fund||4.39 lakh crore|
|Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund||3 lakh crore|
|Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund||2.70 lakh crore|
|Nippon India Mutual Fund||2.65 lakh crore|
|Axis Mutual Fund||2.38 lakh crore|
|UTI Mutual Fund||2.08 lakh crore|
|IDFC Mutual Fund||1.26 lakh crore|
|DSP Mutual Fund||1.07 lakh crore|
SBI Mutual Fund
SBI Funds Management Pvt Limited is a joint venture between the State Bank of India (SBI) and financial services company Amundi, a European Asset Management company based in France.
It was launched in 1987.
With an Average AUM (for the July-September quarter of 2021) of Rs 5.78 lakh crore, SBI Mutual Fund is the top AMC in India by AUM.
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund is a joint venture between ICICI Bank in India and Prudential Plc, in the UK. It was started in 1993.
With an Average AUM of Rs 4.47 lakh crore, ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund is the second largest AMC in India.
HDFC Mutual Fund
HDFC Asset Management Company (AMC) was incorporated in 1999.
For the quarter of July – September 2021, HDFC Mutual Fund had Average Assets under Management (AAUM) of Rs 4.39 lakh crore.
HDFC Mutual Fund ranks third in the list of AUM wise top AMCs in India.
Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund
Formerly known as Birla Sun Life Asset Management Company, Aditya Birla Sun Life (ABSL) Asset Management Company is a joint venture between the Aditya Birla Group in India and Sun Life Financial Inc of Canada.
It was set up as a joint venture in 1994.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 3 lakh crore.
Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund
Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund is a part of the Kotak Group established in 1985 by Mr. Uday Kotak.
Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company (KMAMC) started its operations in 1998. It is one of the top 10 amc in India by AUM.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 2.70 lakh crore.
Nippon India Mutual Fund
Nippon India Mutual Fund, earlier known as Reliance Mutual Fund, was set up in June 1995 as a joint venture between Reliance Capital and Japan’s Nippon Life Insurance Company.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 2.65 lakh crore.
Axis Mutual Fund
Axis Mutual Fund launched its first scheme in 2009. Axis Bank Limited holds 74.99% in Axis Mutual Fund. The remaining 25% is held by Schroder Singapore Holdings Private Limited.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 2.38 lakh crore.
UTI Mutual Fund
UTI Mutual Fund is a part of Unit Trust of India (UTI). It was registered with SEBI in 2003. It is promoted by SBI, LIC, Bank of Baroda and PNB.
UTI is one of the oldest and largest mutual funds in India.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 2.08 lakh crore.
IDFC Mutual Fund
IDFC Asset Management Company Ltd. was established in 2000.
IDFC Financial Holding Company Limited holds the entire shareholding in IDFC Asset Management Company.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 1.26 lakh crore.
DSP Mutual Fund
DSP BlackRock is a joint venture between DSP Group and BlackRock, world’s largest investment management firm.
DSP BlackRock Trustee Company Private Ltd. is the trustee for the DSP BlackRock Mutual Fund.
Average Assets under Management: Rs 1.07 lakh crore.
This was the list of Top 10 AMCs in India. The AUM data for the list was collected from AMFI. It is the Average Assets under Management (AAUM) for the quarter of July – September 2021.
Disclaimer: The content presented here is only for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended to be advice on what to buy or sell.