Diversification helps an investor get the best out of most asset classes, and international exposure might help us add that zing to our portfolio. The U.S. houses some of the best stocks globally, with great success stories behind their growth.
Investing in U.S. stocks has become as easy as investing in our domestic markets as well. Here’s how you can do it on Groww:
In this article
The process of onboarding to invest in U.S. stocks is slightly different as your regular demat account that you use to invest in domestic equities is not sufficient. There are four easy steps to opening an international trading account.
- International trading account activation takes less than 5 minutes to apply to activate your international trading account, and it is free of cost too!
- Documents: Only 2 documents are required for account opening: address proof and PAN card. Your documents are verified by our US broker dealer-partner ViewTrade Securities (VT), before account activation.
- Select a Bank Account: During account opening, you are required to select a bank account that you want to use for all future USD funding transactions. We recommend choosing HDFC, ICICI, IDFC or Kotak bank for an easy and completely online funding process.
- Account activation: After submitting your application, your account will be activated within a couple of minutes to a few hours.
Adding Dollars For International Trading
If you invest in companies listed in the U.S., you will need to pay in U.S. dollars. You cannot transact in Indian Rupees while investing in U.S. stocks. Here’s how you can easily add U.S. dollars (USD) to your Groww balance.
- To begin with, there are two sections in your Groww balance: INR balance and USD balance. You can add funds to your USD balance by transferring money from your bank to the account of a US-based beneficiary – Apex Clearing.
Apex Clearing is the custodian appointed for all clearing purposes by Viewtrade Securities (VT) – an SEC-registered and FINRA regulated broker. VT manages your brokerage account.
- After you transfer money from your bank, it will take 2-4 working days to reach Apex Clearing in the U.S. After that, Apex will inform our broker dealer-partner, VT, if the money was received. After that, VT will update your Groww USD balance.
- If you had selected one of these banks while onboarding: HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, IDFC First Bank or Kotak Mahindra Bank, your funding can be completed online through netbanking. One-time beneficiary addition takes 6-8 minutes.
If you have selected any other bank account, you may be required to visit your bank to submit an A2 form (designated form for this purposes) for money transfer.
- Please note that the name on your bank account should match the name on your PAN card. You can transfer funds using only an Indian bank account.
Investing in U.S. Stocks
Investing in U.S. stocks is a cakewalk from here. You can even buy or sell fractional shares on Groww while investing in U.S. stocks.
Buying U.S. Stocks
Once the funds reflect in your Groww USD balance, you are ready to invest in US stocks on Groww. You can search for the company you are interested in on our U.S. stocks explore page and accordingly invest as per your choice.
Fractional shares: Groww allows investing in fractional shares. This means that you can buy shares in fractions too, and not just in whole numbers. You can buy maybe half a share or 1.5 shares of a company listed in the U.S.
For example, If you want to invest $150 in Amazon, the price of 1 share of Amazon is trading at $3000; fractional investing allows you to buy less than 1 stock. So for your $150, you will get, i.e. 150/3000 = 0.05 shares of Amazon. This helps you invest smaller amounts across a diversified portfolio of stocks.
Market & Limit Orders: Groww supports market and limit orders for U.S. stocks, which means you can invest in U.S. stocks during or after their market hours.
Selling U.S. Stocks
Selling U.S. stocks is as easy as purchasing them. You can simply place you can place a market or limit order for selling the stocks on Groww.
Fractional shares: And just like buy orders, you can even sell fractional shares.
Let’s go back to our earlier example, according to which you are currently holding 0.05 shares of Amazon.
Say it is trading at $3100 per share. The value of your investment rises to $155 from $150.
Say you want to sell shares worth $100.
According to the current market price of $3100, you will be able to sell 0.03 shares (100/3000) for $100.
After selling your shares, you will have 0.02 shares left in your account (0.05-0.03).
USD Credit After A Sell Order: After you sell a stock, the amount will be credited in your Groww USD balance 2 hours before the US market opens on the next trading day – this is a US compliance requirement.
Withdrawing USD Balance
The amount in your Groww USD balance can be transferred to your bank account.
- Go to the Groww balance section.
- Click on Withdraw Tab
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw
- Click on ‘Withdraw Money’
The money will reach your bank account in 2-4 working days after placing a withdrawal request. Please note that the funds will be credited to the same bank account you had selected for adding funds.
Investing in U.S. stocks can help you add that extra length of diversification to your portfolio. The U.S. houses some of the most successful companies in the world. Investing in international stocks requires a lot more research, but it can help you become a part of some of the best global companies’ growth stories.
Happy Investing with Groww!
Investment in securities market are subject to market risks, read all the related documents carefully before investing. Please read the Risk Disclosure documents carefully before investing in Equity Shares, Derivatives, Mutual fund, and/or other instruments traded on the Stock Exchanges. As investments are subject to market risks and price fluctuation risk, there is no assurance or guarantee that the investment objectives shall be achieved. NBT do not guarantee any assured returns on any investments. Past performance of securities/instruments is not indicative of their future performance.