A PAN, or Permanent Account Number Card, is a one-of-a-kind identifying number issued to each tax-paying citizen of India. All tax-paying organizations, including individuals, businesses, and local governments, are required to have a PAN card. It connects all taxable financial activities, making it easy for the government to record all tax-related information for each PAN card bearer. It also applies to non-resident Indians, people of Indian origin, and foreigners with commercial interests in the nation.
A PAN card is required for a variety of activities, including paying taxes, purchasing real estate and cars, and making major investments and cash deposits. As a result, a PAN card is required. While most people apply for their PAN card after they reach the age of 18, the NSDL, the government organization that supplies PAN cards, also issues PAN cards to minors.
Apply PAN Card for Minor
Many people wonder if a juvenile may apply for a PAN Card, which serves as a vital form of identification. The process for obtaining a PAN card for a juvenile is straightforward and fast. For individuals who want to apply for a PAN card, the government has offered two options, with the service available both offline and online.
Online PAN Card for Child Application Process
The following is the method for applying for a PAN card for a juvenile online:
- Visit the NSDL website at https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html for further information.
- All instructions for completing Form 49A may be found at https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/Instructions49A.html.
- Choose the relevant application category and follow the steps.
- Fill out all of your personal information.
- Upload the minor’s photos and other required papers, such as address proof, proof of identification, and proof of age, as well as those of the minor’s parents, guardian, or representative person.
- The guardian’s or parents’ signature will be submitted.
- Pay the cost of Rs. 107 (Rs. 989 for non-resident Indians) with a credit card, debit card, net banking, or demand draught.
- After you have completed the form, click the ‘Submit button. You will be given an acknowledgement number that you may use to follow the status of your application.
- Include all needed papers (if not already uploaded) with the demand draught (if chosen as a mode of payment).
- Address the attached envelop with the words “APPLICATION FOR PAN” and the “Acknowledgement Number” to the following address:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016.
- When your application reaches its destination, you will be notified by email at the address you supplied.
- After successful verification, the PAN card will be mailed to the specified address within 10-15 working days.
Offline Method to Apply PAN Card for Minor
To apply for a PAN card offline, follow these steps:
- Form 49 (for Indian residents) or Form 49A (for Indians not residing in India) may be downloaded at the Tax Information Website.
- The form is also available through UTIITSL offices and their agents.
- Fill up the blanks with the necessary information and attach copies of the appropriate papers.
- A photograph is not necessary for a minor PAN card.
- Submit the form and papers, together with the processing fee, to the nearest UTIITSL office.
- After the information given is verified, the PAN card will be mailed to the address specified in the form.
The process to Update PAN of Minor on Becoming a Major
If a minor becomes a major, the current PAN card in his or her name must be updated to reflect the new developments. To complete these formalities, a straightforward and painless method has been established, with the following stages anticipated to be followed.
- Form 49A (if he/she is an Indian citizen) or Form 49AA/ (if he/she is a foreign citizen) for opening a new account – Upon reaching maturity, an individual who held a PAN for a minor is expected to apply for a new account using Form 49A (if he/she is an Indian citizen) or Form 49AA/ (if he/she is a foreign citizen).
- Fill out the form — The form must be filled out with appropriate information, and the applicant is required to sign it and amend any new information (if any).
- Papers — An applicant must present all necessary documents, including photos and confirmation of address.
- Filling out and submitting the form – The form can be filled out and submitted online or offline. Individuals should double-check their information before submitting it.
- Payment – An individual is expected to make the required payment, the amount of which is determined by the communication address. People with domestic addresses must pay Rs 107, while those with international addresses must pay Rs 989.
- Acknowledgement – Following a successful payment, an acknowledgement number will be produced, which may be used in future contact with the department.
Documents Required to Apply for PAN Card for a Minor
According to the Income Tax Act, the minor’s parents or guardians can apply for a PAN card on their behalf. For papers, the evidence of address and identity of any of the minor applicant’s parents or guardians shall be deemed the minor applicant’s proof of address and identity. However, if Aadhaar is chosen as evidence of residence, date of birth, or identification, the Aadhaar of the minor, not the representation, should be entered into the application form.
When applying for a PAN card for a juvenile, keep the following documents on hand:
- Aadhaar card
- Ration card
- Driving license
- Photo ID card issued by the Government
- Voter’s ID card
- Arm’s license
- Pensioner card
- Ex-servicemen with a Central Government Health Service card Photo ID for the Contributory Health Scheme
- The original certificate of identification, signed by a Member of Parliament, a Member of the Legislative Assembly, a Member of the Legislative Council, or a Gazetted Officer
- The actual bank certificate on the official letterhead of the issuing bank’s branch, together with the applicant’s bank account number and an attested photocopy
||As evidence of address, a guardian must produce a copy of any of the following documents:
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Voter’s ID Card
- Post office passbook
- Property registration document
- Latest property tax assessment order
- Domicile certificate
- The original address certificate signed by a Member of Parliament, a Member of the Legislative Assembly, a Municipal Councilor, or a Gazetted official
- Original certificate from the employer
- Accommodation allotment letter issued by the Central or State Government
- Electricity bill
- Landline telephone or broadband connection bill
- Water bill
- Consumer gas connection card or the book or piped gas bill
- Bank account statement
- Depository account statement
- Credit card statement
- Birth Certificate Passport Aadhaar Card
- Recognized board mark sheet
- Domicile certificate granted by the government results in the issuance of a photo ID card.
- Photo ID for the Central Government Health Service Scheme
- Ex-servicemen Photo ID for the Contributory Health Scheme
- An affidavit is sworn in front of a magistrate and states the date of birth.
Minor Pan card – FAQs
Q1. What happens after a child turns 18?
Because the PAN card issued in a minor’s name lacks his/her image and signature, it cannot be used as proof of identification. As a result, once the child reaches the age of 18, a request for a PAN card update or correction must be made.
Q2. Why does a child need a PAN?
A PAN Card is necessary for a minor when:
- You want your child to be the nominee for your investments.
- You put money into your child’s name.
- You wish to create a bank account or a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account for your child.
- Your youngster is making money. Typically, a minor’s income is combined with that of their parents. However, it is taxable if and only if the following conditions are met:
- The minor has a physical disability, is blind, and so forth.
- The minor has their own source of money.
- The minor makes money by manual labour, knowledge, skill, and ability.
Q3. What are the benefits of PAN for a Minor?
If you wish to make your child the beneficiary of your investments, If you wish to create a bank account for your child or a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account for your daughter, you must make an investment in their name.
Q4. Can we get a PAN card for minors?
The majority of Indians believe that a PAN Card may only be issued after a person reaches the age of 18. This, however, is a misconception because Minors may apply for PAN Cards and the Income Tax Department likewise issues PAN Cards to Minors without any problems.
Q5. What is the customer care number I can call?
You can call, (022) 2499 4200 or Toll-free (Investor Helpline): 1800 1020 990 / 1800 224 430 for enquiries.