Large-cap funds are the safest equity mutual funds you can invest in. They have the least risk and offer the best returns for that level of risk. It is recommended that you invest a majority of your equity investment in large-cap funds.

So here if large-cap funds are posing a higher risk the returns are also higher. This can be depicted in the following best large-cap funds

Read more: Advantages and Disadvantages of Large-cap Funds

Bonus: If the following 3 funds aren’t enough, scroll down further for 7 more top-performing large-cap funds.

1) SBI Bluechip Fund

1 Year Returns 30.85%
3 Year Returns 14.20%
5 Year Returns 18.44%
Risk Level Moderately High
Min Amt for SIP Rs 500

Holdings: For investing into a mutual fund, it is very important to know its holdings to understand the fund’s performance and holdings of mutual funds help us understand what returns can be expected based on market conditions.

Holdings for this fund are as follows:

It invests 82.1% in large-cap categories and remaining 17.9% in mid-cap categories.

The top 10 holdings of the firm (in the highest to lowest order is as shown below)

Company name Sector
CBLO(CCIL) Current Assets(Money Market)
HDFC Bank Ltd. Financial Services
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. Construction
Nestle India Ltd. Consumer Goods
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. Automobile
State Bank of India Financial Services
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. Energy
Bharat Electronics Ltd. Industrial Manufacturing
ITC Ltd. Consumer Goods
IndusInd Bank Ltd. Financial Services

Performance: The Performance as compared to the benchmark of Nifty 50 is as shown below: (It will help you compare the returns as expected in the market)

5-year performance:

SBI Bluechip fund equity large 5 year performance

2) Mirae Asset India Opportunities Fund

1 Year Returns 38.74%
3 Year Returns 15.95%
5 Year Returns 20.84%
Risk Level Moderately High
Min Amt for SIP Rs 1000

Holdings:

It invests 83.4% in large-cap categories and remaining 16.6% in mid-cap categories.

Its top 10 holdings include:

Company name Sector
HDFC Bank Ltd. Financial Services
ICICI Bank Ltd. Financial Services
State Bank of India Financial Services
Infosys Ltd. IT
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. Construction
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. Automobile
Reliance Industries Ltd. Energy
Tata Steel Ltd. Metals
Grasim Industries Ltd. Cement and Cement Production

Performance: The Performance as compared to the benchmark of Nifty 50 is as shown below: (It will help you compare the returns as expected in the market)

5 year performance

Mirae Asset Large Cap 5 year performance

3) Reliance Top 200 Fund 

1 Year Returns 37.40%
3 Year Returns 12.99%
5 Year Returns 18.02%
Risk Level Moderately High
Min Amt for SIP Rs 1000

Holdings: It invests 82.6% in large-cap categories and remaining 17.4% in mid-cap categories

Its top 10 holdings include:

Company name Sector
ITC Ltd. Consumer goods
State Bank of India Financial services
Infosys Ltd. IT
ICICI Bank Ltd. Financial Services
HDFC Bank Ltd. Financial Services
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. Construction
HCL Technologies Ltd. IT
Tata Steel Ltd. Metals
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. Automobile
Axis Bank Ltd. Financial Services

Performance: The Performance as compared to the benchmark of Nifty 50 is as shown below: (It will help you compare the returns as expected in the market)

5-year performance

Reliance Large Cap 5 year performance

As seen from the performance of the funds above, what can be inferred is that for investing large-cap funds, the investor should invest it for at least 4 years to reap good benefits as compared to market returns.

Also, large-cap equity funds mostly invest in companies with a good reputation and the ones with a very good strength to stand against odd times.

One more important thing to note that maximum funds had above 80% share in large-cap industries and remaining only in mid-cap companies and none in small cap.

So the performance gets better there as well and finally, these funds have a good mix of industries including financial services, IT, Consumer goods, Automobile which is performing relatively better since past few years.

For the best funds from all mutual fund categories, check out: Groww 30 – Top funds in every mutual fund category. 

Top Large Cap Funds: Bonus List

Here is an extended list of large-cap funds to give you more options to invest in large-cap

funds.

Quantum Long Term Equity Fund 

quantum long term equity fund

This is another good fund that has returned a healthy 16.12% returns over the last 5 years and 22.03% over the last 1 year.

1 Year Returns 22.03%
3 Year Returns 12.67%
5 Year Returns 16.12%

Aditya Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Fund 

aditya birla sun life front line equity fund

This is one of the oldest funds on this list. It was launched in 2002. Aditya Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Fund has been one of the most popular large-cap funds over the years.

It continues to perform well. Last year, it gave a return of 30.94% and over the last 5 years, it has given a respectable 17.34% per annum.

1 Year Returns 30.94%
3 Year Returns 12.90%
5 Year Returns 17.34%

Aditya Birla SL Top 100 Fund

aditya birla sun life top 100

Another large-cap fund by Aditya Birla, this fund too has a very good performance over a 5 year period.

1 Year Returns 28.50%
3 Year Returns 10.83%
5 Year Returns 18.35%

Motilal Oswal MOSt Focused 25 Fund 

motilal oswal most focused 25

In the last 1 year, this fund has given a return of more 27%. It follows a focused approach of investing in only 25 companies.

1 Year Returns 27.69%
3 Year Returns 10.81%
5 Year Returns NA

ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Fund

icici prudential focused bluechip equity fund

Over the last year, this fund gave a return of  32% – which is very good for any large-cap fund.

1 Year Returns 32.19%
3 Year Returns 11.53%
5 Year Returns 17.58%

DSP BlackRock Focused 25 Fund

dsp blackrock focused 25

This fund too is a good option to invest in the large-cap category.

1 Year Returns 25.33%
3 Year Returns 10.69%
5 Year Returns 16.80%

IDFC Imperial Equity Fund

idfc imperial equity fund

In the last 1 year, this fund has given an incredible 51.76% – which is very high for any category fund.

1 Year Returns 51.76%
3 Year Returns 12.89%
5 Year Returns 15.82%

 

Happy investing!

Disclaimer: the views expressed here are those of the author. Mutual funds are subject to market risks. Please read the offer document before investing.