Re-Registration of Vehicle Registration Certificate

All vehicle owners must renew or re-register their Vehicle Register Certificate after 15 years as per the Central Motor Vehicles Act. Re-Registration of your vehicle is also required if the vehicle needs to be shifted to a different state or has been used outside the registered state for more than a year. 

You can apply for renewal of your Vehicle RC (Registration Certificate) by filling out Form 25 and submitting all the essential documents required to verify the vehicle. After successful verification, the RTO will issue a new RC after inspecting the vehicle. Following that, the registration can be renewed every five years as long as it is deemed safe and roadworthy by the RTO. 

Here, we have discussed in detail the re-registration process of your vehicle and the documents required for verification.

Process of Re-Registration of Vehicle After 15 Years Offline

Once you have got all of the necessary documents, you can complete the RC renewal process at the RTO where the vehicle was initially registered. 

The steps for re-registration of vehicle after 15 years are given below:

Step 1: Fill out Form 25 with the necessary information.

Step 2: Submit the completed form and all relevant documentation to the RTO.

Step 3: You may be required to pay car or bike taxes. Make your payment at the appropriate counter, if applicable.

Step 4: Bring your vehicle to the registering authority for inspection.

Step 5: Pay the re-registration cost at the appropriate counter and obtain the receipt.

Step 6: The RTO will send or deliver the renewed registration certificate to you.

Documents Required for Re-Registration of Vehicle Certificate

Here are the documents needed to renew your car or two-wheeler registration certificate.

  • Duly filled out Form 25.
  • Original Vehicle Registration Certificate.
  • Certificate of Pollution Control (PUC).
  • Copy the car owner's PAN card and Form 61 (if applicable).
  • Proof of payment for road taxes.
  • Vehicle Insurance Certificate.
  • Certificate of fitness.
  • Owner identification by signature.
  • Pencil print of the vehicle's chassis and engine number.

How to Re-Register for Inter-State?

Step 1: Get No Object Certificate

The following are the processes to get a No Objection Certificate.

  • Submit a self-declaration affidavit to the RTO (on Rs. 10 stamp paper signed by a Notary). In this document, you must declare that all vehicle-related documents are valid and there are no outstanding debts against your vehicle.
  • Obtain a letter of authorization from the NCRB (National Crime Record Bureau) stating that your vehicle is not stolen.
  • Obtain Form 35 from the financier (if the vehicle is still financed).
  • To acquire a NOC from the RTO where the vehicle was initially registered, submit three duly completed copies of Form 27 and 28, along with NOCs obtained from the NCRB, financier, and Traffic Police.
  • At the RTO, you must also present documents such as an insurance certificate, a PUC certificate, a registration certificate/smart card, identity evidence, address proof, and a copy of the chassis imprint.
  • Following completion of documentation, the RTO will issue the interstate vehicle transfer NOC within 2-3 weeks.

Step 2: Get the Original Documents

To re-register your car in another state, you must produce original copies of the following documents.

  • Original vehicle documentation includes the registration certificate/smartcard, the insurance, and the Pollution certificate.
  • The original car invoice is required for the RTO to determine the road tax based on the vehicle's depreciation.

Step 3: Road Tax Payment

Once you have got all of the required paperwork, you can relocate the vehicle to another state and apply for a new registration certificate. To apply for a new RC, you must submit the following documents.

  • Vehicle documentation includes the original RC/Smartcard, the vehicle invoice, the PUC certificate, and the insurance certificate.
  • Documents for ownership transfer (in case of a used car).
  • Identity and address verification (Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Voter ID, and so on).
  • Form 33 (New Address Information).
  • Passport-size photos and a self-attested attestation (if necessary).
  • Receipt of road tax payment.
  • Form 20 (Application for Re-registration).
  • Once the vehicle has been registered in another state, you can apply for a tax refund from the state where it was initially registered.
Invest the way you want
Join millions of Indians who trust and love Groww