Groww Logo
Home>Blog>Stocks>Fire breaks out at Berger Paints Howrah factory - Stock Impact

Fire breaks out at Berger Paints Howrah factory - Stock Impact

09 June 2022

The stock of the second-largest paint maker in the country, Berger Paints, is down about 3% on the bourses today (June 9, 2022). This is mainly on the back of a fire at the company’s factory on June 8, 2022.

According to the company’s statement, an accidental fire broke out at the company’s Howrah factory at around 2.20 pm (on June 8, 2022). The accident affected the exit gate and the raw material handling area.

The company stated that its production area remained completely unaffected. However, 21 of the company’s employees received injuries while attempting to douse the fire.

Eventually, the fire was brought under complete control but the reason for the occurrence is under investigation, the company said in a statement. A preliminary investigation points towards an electrical short circuit in an AC unit.

Berger Paints’ Howrah plant operation is temporarily stopped. But as per the company’s statement, it is expected to resume in a couple of days.

Berger Paints: What investors should know?

Berger Paints is one of the leading players in the paint industry. Asian Paints and Berger Paints hold dominant positions and control most of the market share in the industry.

For Berger Paints, the decorative segment contributes to about 80% of revenue while the remaining 20% comes from the industrial and coatings segment.

While Asian Paints holds a dominant market share, about 50%, Berger Paints has a dominant position in rural and urban markets (other than metro cities) compared with its peers. This gives the company an advantage in the pricing of products. Further, in a few product categories such as exterior paints and wall-proofing products, Berger Paints holds a better market position than Asian Paints.

While the paints industry had long been dominated by Asian Paints, Berger Paints, and even Kansai Nerolac (a leading player in industrial paints), competition, particularly from Grasim and other small regional players, is likely to impact the paint makers including Berger Paints.

Other challenges for paint makers include volatility in input costs. As paint raw materials are derived from crude oil, any upswing in the crude prices impacts the margins and the company’s pricing power. Considering the increasing competition in the market, the margins may come under pressure due to pricing competition.

In its recent March quarter of FY22, the company reported revenue growth of about 8% y-o-y to Rs 2,187 crore and profit growth of about 6% y-o-y to Rs 221 crore.

About Berger Paints 

Berger Paints is said to be the 2nd largest paint maker in the country. It has a presence in 8 countries with exports across multiple countries.

The company has about 13 manufacturing plants across the country with 181 sales/depot offices. And it has over 25,000 dealers.

To read the RA disclaimer, please click here
Research Analyst: Bavadharini KS

Disclaimer

The stocks mentioned in this article are not recommendations. Please conduct your own research and due diligence before investing. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks, read all the related documents carefully before investing. Please read the Risk Disclosure documents carefully before investing in Equity Shares, Derivatives, Mutual fund, and/or other instruments traded on the Stock Exchanges. As investments are subject to market risks and price fluctuation risk, there is no assurance or guarantee that the investment objectives shall be achieved. NBT do not guarantee any assured returns on any investments. Past performance of securities/instruments is not indicative of their future performance.
Do you like this edition?
LEAVE A FEEDBACK
ⓒ 2016-2022 Groww. All rights reserved, Built with in India
MOST POPULAR ON GROWWVERSION - 3.2.4
STOCK MARKET INDICES:  S&P BSE SENSEX |  S&P BSE 100 |  NIFTY 100 |  NIFTY 50 |  NIFTY MIDCAP 100 |  NIFTY BANK |  NIFTY NEXT 50
MUTUAL FUNDS COMPANIES:  ICICI PRUDENTIAL |  HDFC |  NIPPON INDIA |  ADITYA BIRLA SUN LIFE |  SBI |  UTI |  FRANKLIN TEMPLETON |  KOTAK MAHINDRA |  IDFC |  DSP |  AXIS |  TATA |  L&T |  SUNDARAM |  PGIM |  INVESCO |  LIC |  JM FINANCIAL |  BARODA PIONEER |  CANARA ROBECO |  HSBC |  IDBI |  INDIABULLS |  MOTILAL OSWAL |  BNP PARIBAS |  MIRAE ASSET |  PRINCIPAL |  BOI AXA |  UNION KBC |  TAURUS |  EDELWEISS |  NAVI |  MAHINDRA |  QUANTUM |  PPFAS |  IIFL |  Quant |  SHRIRAM |  SAHARA |  ITI