UAN or Universal Account Number is a number allotted to all the salaried employees, who contribute a part of their income towards the Employee Provident Fund (EPF).
The reason being, UAN is a unique identification number that is linked to your EPF and is allotted by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). In this article, we will cover in detail, all that there is to learn about the Universal Account Number including the registration, benefits, activation and much more.
In this article
What is a UAN or Universal Account Number?
The Universal Account Number is a 12 digit number that each member of the Employee Provident Fund is allotted against his/her name. The EPFO UAN is issued by the Government of India under the Ministry of Employment and Labor.
This number is the same throughout an employee’s professional life. In case the employee changes job, he is allotted a new member ID by EPFO, however, his UAN remains the same as it is linked to all the member IDs. So this number helps you in tracking your total EPF contributions, under your previous employer(s) as well as current employer, all in one place.
Employee Provident Fund has now become easily accessible for many employees like us. With just a few clicks you can check the balance, transfer or even withdraw from your provident fund. All this could happen, just by a single linkage of all your Provident Funds through to a single account.
Earlier, in case of any PF related issues like payout issue, withdrawal, etc., it was tedious to keep a track of activities from various PFs. Now, the universal account number assembles all these PF accounts associated with multiple ids of different organizations in one place. With the help of UAN, an employee can easily access, withdraw, transfer funds and many other activities at a single platform.
Since a part of your salary gets accumulated in the EPF account, it is important for you to know exactly what UAN is and how it is relevant to you.
How to Get UAN Number?
There are two ways to know your UAN, viz. Through employer or through the UAN portal.
a. Through Employer
Usually, employees are allotted a Universal Account Number by their employer under the EPFO. Some employers also mention the UAN number in the salary slips.
b. Through UAN Portal using PF number/member ID
In case, one cannot get the Universal Account Number from their employer, it can be also obtained through the UAN portal. Just follow the steps below:
Step 1: Visit the UAN Portal https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
Step 2: Click on the tab which says ‘Know your UAN Status’. Upon clicking, the following page will appear.
Step 3: Select the state and the respective EPFO office from the dropdown menu and enter the PF number/member ID along with the other required details such as name, date of birth, mobile no, and captcha code. PF number/member ID can be obtained from your salary slip. Next, Enter the tab ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
Step 4: A PIN will be received on your mobile number. Provide the PIN and click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button.
Step 5: Finally, your Universal Account Number will be sent to your registered mobile number.
How to Activate UAN?
In order to activate UAN, one must have his/her Universal Account Number and PF member ID.
Below given are the steps for UAN activation and login to the EPFO portal using UAN
Step 1: Visit the EPFO homepage and under ‘Our Services’ on the dashboard, click on ‘For Employees’
Step 2: Hover over to the services section and click on the ‘Member UAN/Online services’. You will be directed to UAN portal.
- Enter your UAN, registered mobile number and PF member ID. Enter the provided captcha characters. Click on the ‘Get authorization PIN’ option. Upon clicking, the PIN will be received on your registered mobile number.
- Click on the ‘I Agree’ checkbox under the disclaimer and enter the OTP received and click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’.
- Upon UAN activation, again a password will be received on the registered mobile number to access your account.
As explained above the UAN of EPF is very useful for employees to check PF related activities. UAN benefits employers as well since it helps them perform PF updates and other necessary tasks. Here are some other benefits of UAN
- The UAN helps the EPFO in tracking the changes in the organizations for the employees.
- When we employee changes our job, we just need to link the new PF account to the UAN and then the EPFO will update the same in its records.
- UAN facilities can also be accessed online. The UAN e-Sewa portal has many facilities that make PF withdrawal and transfers This makes withdrawals and transfers a few clicks away when we change our jobs.
- UAN also ensures that all PF accounts of the employee are valid and genuine.
Some more Important Points Related to UAN
- The employer or the organization can authenticate employees through their UAN if KYC documents are verified.
- The employer or the organization shall not be able to deduct or hold back employees PF as the UAN is online and hence is visible for any activity done.
- Employees can check the deposit of their PF by the employer every month by just registering on the EPF Member Portal using our 12 digit UAN. Also, the EPF passbook facility can be accessed by sending an SMS EPFOHO UAN ENG to 7738299899 from the registered mobile number with the EPFO.
UAN Employee Advantages:
- With UAN, employer involvement has reduced drastically. The PF of the old organization will be transferred to the new PF account once KYC verification is complete.
- The employee needs to give his UAN details and KYC to the new organization and the old PF is just transferred to the new PF account once the verification is done. Hence, there is no manual process of transferring funds explicitly.
- You can also subscribe to SMS service and get notification whenever a contribution is made by the employer after registering at the UAN portal.
Withdraw/Transfer Funds: Made it Easy
When an employee switches companies, he/she can either withdraw or transfer our PFs. But since earlier the whole process was so tedious, usually people didn’t utilize their PF. After the launch of UAN, the task has been made easier.
We can link all PF accounts together with our unique UAN. You then just need to share your UAN with the employer. You can then manage our account online after KYC verification.
As UAN eases the linking of all PF accounts, the PF withdrawal process is very easy as well.
Easy Management of EPF through UAN
- The UAN comes very handily throughout an employee’s career. By just sharing our UAN and PF account details with various employers of ours, we are good to go. All our old accounts are linked to a single UAN.
- We can also download our UAN card by registering at the EPFO e- Sewa member portal.
- KYC verification can also be done online by just uploading the scanned KYC documents by Employee on the portal.
- The UAN also helps in monitoring and checking the process status for the claim transfer on the EPFO portal.
- Using UAN, we can check our PF balance by just downloading or accessing the passbook from EPFO’s website.
Universal Account Number – FAQs
Ques. Can an employee have two UANs?
Ans. No, having two UANs is not allowed; an employee can only have one UAN which is transferable across all eligible employers.
Ques. Is UAN number linked with the PAN of employees?
Ans. Yes, the UAN is linked with the PAN of employees.
Ques. What happens to the existing UAN in case of a change in job?
Ans. The UAN is transferrable which means when someone changes their job, the UAN remains constant. Upon providing the same to the new employer, the employer links the new PF account to it.
Ques. What is the procedure to transfer old EPF accounts and connect them to UAN?
Ans. Once the current EPF account is linked with the UAN, all the old EPF accounts can be linked online and the status of transfer requests can be checked online as well.
Ques. Is UAN is a must for online claims?
Ans. Yes, it is mandatory. Without UAN, one cannot submit online claims.