The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, 2016 (PMGKY) was initiated by the Narendra Modi-led Government of India in December 2016. It was launched as a follow-up to the Income Declaration Scheme. It had been launched earlier that year. The program, which is part of the Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Act of 2016, allowed people to register unaccounted cash by paying a fine of 50% of the concealed revenue. A further 25% of the gain is paid in the scheme. It can further be refunded without interest within four years.
Salient Features of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
- The Indian Union Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman, announced on the 25th of March, 2020, an economic relief package of Rs.1,70,000 crore for the poor population and migrant workers.
- This scheme is outlined to cover 80 crores of the rural population of the country.
- The relief package includes food and components, which are divided into eight sections of the society. It is inclusive of pensioners, women, and the disabled.
- It includes contributing to the poor families with pulses through this yojana.
- The central government has claimed to distribute rice and wheat-based on each individual. In addition to the already existing rice distribution that had been allotted.
- This scheme meant relief plans to help in the survival of the deadly situation of the country.
How to Apply for PM Garib Kalyan Yojana 2021?
The PMGKY application process is very simple. An applicant just has to open a Jan Dhan Account in any bank that is authorized by the Reserve Bank of India. Next, the applicant will have to produce some required income documents. Once these documents are screened and verified, the applicant will be confirmed to be eligible to receive the benefits of the scheme.
PMGKY Scheme Eligibility
The scheme was announced as part of the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) for the immediate benefit of businesses with up to 100 workers who earn less than INR 15,000 per month.
The Unified Portal has been updated to reflect the Scheme in order to assist qualifying employers in obtaining the benefit. There are no changes to the ECR filing process or format. Before filing the ECR, the employers would only need to file a declaration.
Documents Required to Apply for PMGKY
PMGKY keeps a simple process for everyone to avail. An applicant is needed to open a Jan Dhan Account in any bank authorized by the Reserve Bank of India. During this procedure, the applicant needs to furnish the income documents that will further be screened. After the completion of the screening, it is confirmed whether the applicant is eligible for the yojana or not.
Wholesome Benefits of the Scheme
- Under this scheme, five kilograms of free wheat is provided to 80 crore people, along with one kilogram of chana per family.
- Since the unveiling of the scheme in 2020, Rs.50,000 crore has been spent on providing employment opportunities to the poor.
- Maintenance cleaners, ward boys, nurses, ASHA workers, paramedics, technicians, doctors, specialists, and other health-associated workers would be provided with a coverage of Rs. 50 lakhs. Around 22 lakh health workers can be covered under this feature.
- 2/3 of the population will be covered under the scheme, which is 80 crore people.
- 20.40 crore PMGKY women account-holders would be given an extra of Rs. 500 each month.
- Under this Yojana eight crore poor families will be supplied with gas cylinders free of cost.
- The wage earners that earn below Rs. 15000 for a month in businesses and have less than 100 workers will be paid 24% of their monthly wages into their provident fund accounts.
- Three crore poor widows and people in the Divyang category will be provided with Rs. 1000 for three months.
Specific Benefits of PMGKY for Different Sections
|For Wage Workers||The wage workers who earn below the amount of 15,000 for a month in a business and have less than 100 employees will be paid 24% of their monthly wages into their Provident Funds account for three months from March 2020.|
|For Farmers||Over eight crore farmers are said to benefit under the scheme with direct cash transfers. An installment of Rs.2000 is stated to be sent to these farmers in the first week of April.|
|For Women||The women of self-help groups under the Deen Dayal Yojana who were earlier eligible for similar loans up to Rs.10 Lakhs will be allocated with a collateral-free loan of Rs.20 Lakh. A total of 20 crore women holding Jan-Dhan Yojana accounts will get a payment of Rs. 500 for the next three months from the launch of the plan.|
|For MGNREGA Workers||Through this plan, the wages of MGNREGA employees were decided to be increased by Rs.2000 per worker. It eventually benefited five crores of Indian families.|
|For Organized Sectors||The Union finance minister also announced a hike in PF and the withdrawal limits for the organized sector. The scheme also brought forward a contribution to the employer and the employee who have less than 100 employees, where 90% of them earn lesser than ₹15,000 per month, the government would pay their EPF for three months.|
|For Construction Workers||The yojana provided a fund of ₹31,000 crores to assist 3.5 crore registered workers to protect them against economic disruptions.|
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana – FAQs
Q1. What kind of cover is provided under the scheme?
This scheme provides up to Rs. 50 lakh coverage for health-associated workers in COVID-19 Duty, on accidents and death.
Q2. How long is the PMGKY insurance policy valid?
The insurance is valid for three months from the 30th of March.
Q3. Does an individual need to enroll in the scheme?
Not necessarily. It isn’t mandatory for an individual to enroll in this scheme.
Q4. Is there an age limit for the health workers?
Under this specific scheme, there is no age limit.
Q5. Under the scheme cover expenses under quarantine and treatment?
No. This scheme does not cover any expenses under the quarantine of medical treatment.
Q6. When did this scheme come out?
This scheme was initially launched in 2016 and has taken a new form due to the pandemic on March 20th, 2020.
Q7. Who is eligible for this plan?
Employers who have employment up to 100 and whose 90% of the employees were getting wages less than 15000 per month are eligible.