If any of the crucial details in the EPF is updated wrongly, it can be changed online through the official website of EPFO – Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation. One can do it simply by replacing the existing details and updating them in the form available online.
In this article
The Name Change Correction Form PF
The EPF Name Correction is a straightforward script. It has the feel of a letter rather than a text. It should be submitted to the Regional EPFO Commissioner and must be written in the following format:
- The letter should be sent to the Regional PF Commissioner.
- Declare the letter’s topic to be “Joint declaration by the member and the employer.”
- Declare that you are or were an employee of the company who entered your information incorrectly and that you are writing to recommend that your information be corrected.
- Enter the information that needs to be modified, the right entry, and the incorrect entry in a table of three columns. This form can be used to correct the errors mentioned below:
- Error in naming, Error in the father’s or husband’s name
- Numbers in the PF or EPS accounts are incorrect.
- An error in the date of birth has been discovered.
- The date of entering an organization and the date of leaving an organization is also incorrect.
- The form will list all of the columns, and you must fill in the ones where the information collected needs to be updated.
- Once you’ve completed the form, you can add the documentation that will serve as evidence of the modifications you’re asking for.
- When it comes to signing and attesting the form, you’ll need to affix your signature to it and sign it.
- You’ll still need to enter the name of your former organization’s registered signatory.
- In addition, the approved signatory must sign the application form and affix the business seal to it.
EPF Name Correction – Documents Required
The government has declared a list of documents that are suitable for these reforms, which includes documents such as:
- PAN card
- Driver’s license
- Voters ID card
- ESIC ID card
- Aadhaar card
- Bank or post office passbooks
- Certificates relating to schooling and schools
- A copy of a phone, electric, or water bill bearing your signature.
- Certificates of birth or death provided by the registrar of births and deaths
- A credential that is created based on government service documents (state or central)
- In exceptional circumstances, a letter is signed by a well-known public official and confirmed by the appropriate authority.
Name Correction in PF Account Offline
Calling the UAN helpdesk or contacting your workplace’s HR department are two offline options for correcting EPF information. All approaches have their own set of issues. Although chasing down HR to get the improvements made could take some time, the UAN helpdesk has been down on many occasions.
EPF Name Correction Online
EPF name change online is relatively easier than offline. A PF name change online can be an effective move by following the step-to-step guide below.
Step 1: Use the EPFO’s centralized gateway to log in. To make any updates, you must first be registered with the portal. If you haven’t already done so, go to the same page and press the “Enable UAN” button on the right (below), which will appear under “Important Links.”
Step 2: Click “Manage” and then “modify simple info” after you’ve logged in.
Basic personal information on the UAN profile cannot be updated if your Aadhaar has already been connected to it. You’ll have to update it on your Aadhaar, which you can do in person (if your mobile number isn’t registered) or online on UIDAI’s official website.
Step 3: In the slot given on the adjustment tab, enter your Aadhaar code. You’ll also need to enter information from your Aadhaar card, such as your name, gender, and date of birth. Select “edit info” from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: On the UAN portal, you will now be able to see “pending demands.” You’ll notice that your employer is expected to check the adjustments you’ve made to your profile. If you accidentally entered incorrect information, you can “delete request” and re-enter and re-apply for the update. It’s worth noting that the deletion will only be done until the appeal is approved by the employer.
Step 5: On the Employer side of the Unified portal interface, the employer will receive the order. They will get to it by looking at the “Member>Details Change Request” box. The appeal will be submitted to the Dealing Hand of the concerned EPFO office only after it has been approved by the employer. The state of the submission will be visible to your boss.
The request will be forwarded to the Section Supervisor for verification, after which it will be forwarded to APFC/RPFC. Each authority can make their own comments next to the submission, indicating whether they approve or deny it. The APFC/RPFC has the final say on whether a proposal is approved or rejected.
You’ll get a popup that your Aadhaar has been checked and your employer has approved the appeal until your Aadhaar has been verified “Aadhaar has already been validated. Your information is not editable.” While your Aadhaar is now connected to your UAN, basic information cannot be updated.
Issues Caused by an Error in the EPF Details
- Any incorrect or misspelled data entered during the initial registration process may result in the rejection of an application for EPF number withdrawal.
- The nominee’s information should be provided by the candidate. The absence of candidate information will cause complications when filing EPF claims or result in a claim being denied.
- In your EPF account, make sure your joining date is right. This date is important because it is used to measure your EPS pension as well as your cumulative EPFO allocation months and years. Both considerations are crucial in determining whether or not the withdrawal balance is tax-free. As a result, an incorrect date may cause complications when withdrawing EPF funds.
- Women who assume the surname or title of their husband’s family after marriage are more likely to have their names corrected. Even if they are not married, certain people intend to change their surname and names. If you have done so, you must update your EPF account to match your current name. It will save you time and trouble when it is time to withdraw your EPF.
Name change in EPF – FAQs
Q1. Does the employer need to authorize the name change?
Yes. The employer and the employee need to submit a joint declaration of the name change together. In this case, the employer needs to approve the name change.
Q2. Is it mandatory to update the name on EPF after marriage?
If you’ve changed your name on your Aadhaar card, PAN card, or bank account, you’ll need to change your name on the EPFO portal as well. It is not necessary, however, if the name change has not been made on the KYC papers.
Q3. How long will it take for the EPF to process the request?
The EPFO normally takes 15 to 30 days to approve your application. However, the amount of time it takes for acceptance is determined by the cumulative number of applications they get. Given the current state of Covid, approval may take longer than a month.
Q4. How to change the marital status on EPF?
When a subscriber gets married and takes on a new title, she must fill out a declaration form and email it to the EPFO Commissioner. In order for her to justify arguments, she must append a copy of her marriage certificate to this form.
Q5. Whom should the name changed form be addressed to?
The name change form should be submitted to the Regional EPFO Commissioner and addressed to the same.