PNB, short for Punjab National Bank is a banking and financial service bank owned by the Government of India. Founded in 1894, the bank has grown leaps and bounds and has its headquarter in New Delhi. A PNB recurring deposit is one of the best RDs available if you are thinking to make a significant corpus, in the long run. The tenure for a PNB RD account ranges from 6 months to 10 years. The tenures are further categorized as short-term, medium-term and long-term.
Take a look at what PNB recurring deposit has to offer –
- The highest PNB RD interest rate goes up to 5.30%, with quarterly compounding
- Allows users to invest as little as Rs. 100
- Senior citizens can avail themselves slight higher interest rates up to 5.80%
In this article
- PNB Recurring Deposit Interest Rates 2021 as per the Tenure
- Key Features of PNB Recurring Deposit Scheme
- Premature Withdrawal Rules on PNB RD
- How to Calculate Punjab National Bank RD Interest on Investment?
- Eligibility Criteria to Open an RD account
- Documents Required for Starting an RD account
- Term-wise Recurring PNB Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
- Types of Recurring Deposit Offered by PNB
- How to Apply for a PNB RD Account?
- Frequently Asked Questions on PNB RD Rates
PNB Recurring Deposit Interest Rates 2021 as per the Tenure
|Tenure||RD Rates for General Citizens||RD Rates Senior Citizen|
|180 days – 270 days||4.40%||4.90%|
|271 days – 364 days||4.50%||5.00%|
|1 year 1 day – 3 years||5.20%||5.70%|
|3 years 1 day – 5 years||5.30%||5.80%|
|5 years 1 day – 10 years||5.30%||5.80%|
Note: The above interest rates are for investments less than Rs. 1 Crore.
Key Features of PNB Recurring Deposit Scheme
- The minimum amount needed to open a PNB RD account is as low as Rs. 100
- The tenure ranges from 180 days to 10 years
- Senior citizens can avail an extra interest of 0.50% interest over regular interest rates
- The maximum interest rate offered by the bank is for a tenure ranging from 3 years to 10 years. The rates are 5.30% for regular citizens and 5.80% for senior citizens
- PNB offers a facility of loan against the deposit amount
- TDS deductions depend on the income slab to which the applicant belongs
- PND also offers a nomination facility so that you can nominate somebody to collect the matured amount in case of the account holder’s demise
Premature Withdrawal Rules on PNB RD
As per the bank rules, the bank levies a penalty of 1% if the deposited amount is withdrawn before the maturity period. The penalty is also applicable in case the deposits are irregular or discontinued.
How to Calculate Punjab National Bank RD Interest on Investment?
The formula used to calculate the total amount accumulated upon maturity is A = P(1+r/n) ^ nt.
- ‘A’ is the final amount
- ‘P’ is the principal
- ‘r’ is the annual interest rate
- ‘n’ is the number of times that interest has been compounded,
- ‘t’ is the tenure
Suppose, Mr Atul opens an RD account with a regular deposit of Rs 500 on 1.4.17 for 24 months or 2 years. The applicable interest rate on the same is 6.5% as the total deposit amount would stand to Rs 12843 which is less than Rs 2 Crore. Interest on the same would be Rs 843 according to the formula.
Apart from getting the highest interest rates, RD in PNB is also eligible for tax benefits under the Income Tax Act of 1961.
The sum invested in a recurring deposit account is included in your yearly income and a Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) of 10% is applicable on interest earned (provided, it is more than Rs. 10,000/year). For saving TDS on your PNB RD gains, you are required to fill either Form 15G or 15H.
Eligibility Criteria to Open an RD account
To open a PNB RD account, you must fulfill these eligibility requirements:
- Individuals, more than 10 years of age, can open an RD account by furnishing valid age proof.
- Minors below 10 years of age are allowed to operate an RD account under their parental guardianship.
- Even the municipalities, panchayats and other quasi-government bodies also have access to RD in PNB.
- HUFs, charitable trusts, proprietorships can also open recurring deposit accounts.
Documents Required for Starting an RD account
To open a Punjab National Bank RD account, you are required to submit any of the following documents mentioned below –
[A] Identify proof
– A voter ID card or Aadhaar card
– PAN card
– Government ID card
– Ration card
– A senior citizen ID card
[B] Address proof
– Telephone or electricity bill
– Bank account statements with a cheque
– Any certificate or ID card issued by post office
Term-wise Recurring PNB Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
Punjab National bank offers recurring deposits with terms ranging from 180 days to 10 years and these term deposits are segregated into:
PNB Short term RD Interest Rates: Theses RDs offer ranges from 180 days to a year and the interest rate offered by the bank is 4.40% to 5.20% for regular citizens and 4.90% to 5.70%for senior citizens
PNB Medium Term Interest Rates: With a tenure ranging from 1 to 3 years, the interest offered on this type of deposit is 5.20% for regular citizens and 5.70% for senior citizens. For tenure ranging from 3-5 years, the return offered by the bank is 5.30% for regular citizens and 5.70% for senior citizens.
PNB Long-term Interest Rates: The tenure for a long term deposit is usually more than 5 years and less than 10 years; Interest rates offered as 5.30% for regular citizens and 5.80% for senior citizens.
Types of Recurring Deposit Offered by PNB
PNB Recurring Deposit (E-RD): This RD is available to PNB internet banking users only. This e-RD account has benefits like nomination like that of a regular RD account. Once it is matured, the amount is credited to the same account through which the term deposit was made.
PNB Recurring Deposit Scheme: This RD account can be opened by any individual who has attained 10 years of age or above. However, applicants below 10 years of age can also open a PNB recurring deposit scheme under the supervision of a guardian. Not only individuals but partnership firms, Hindu Undivided Families (HUF), clubs, association, and other government bodies can also open his RD account. A PNB recurring deposit account can be opened with an amount as low as Rs. 100 and in multiple
PNB Special Recurring Deposit Product: Any government, private institution, or corporate body can open a PNB Special Recurring Deposit account. Any institution having a minimum of 10 employees or 75% of eligible employees (whichever is lower) are eligible to participate in this scheme.
PNB RD Interest Calculator
The RD maturity amount you get is the sum of all the below-given parameters. Alternatively, one can also use the PNB RD Interest calculator to check the interest earned on their deposit.
Deposit Amount: The initial amount deposited by a customer in their account. The deposit amount for PNB RD starts from as low as Rs 100.
PNB RD Interest Rates: Punjab National Bank higher rate of interest on recurring deposits with longer tenure and lower interest rates for an account opened for a shorter period. The highest interest rate offered by the bank is 5.70% for deposit amount.
Deposit Tenure: As mentioned in the previous point, low-interest rates are offered for short tenure RDs and vice-versa.
How to Apply for a PNB RD Account?
There are two methods to apply for an RD account at PNB
- Online (Net Banking)
- Offline (Visiting the Branch)
Online: This is for existing customers of Punjab National Bank; they can use your net banking username and password to login to their online account and open an e-RD right away.
Offline: Those who are not a PNB account holder, will have to open a PNB bank account first by visiting the nearest PNB branch. Once the account is active, one can open an e-RD by logging in to their net banking.
Frequently Asked Questions on PNB RD Rates
Ques. What is the eligibility to open a PNB RD account?
Ans. Any individual who is an Indian resident and HUF (Hindu Undivided Families). Moreover, NRIs can also open an RD account through NRO and NRE accounts. Bank also provides RD scheme for minors (less than 10 years of age) under the guardianship of parents to monitor their finances.
Ques. What are the documents required for PNB Recurring Deposit Scheme?
Ans. Any valid identity proof and address proof will suffice along with passport size photographs of the applicant and duly filled application PNB RD account.
Ques. Does PNB allow partial withdrawal of RD account?
Ans. No, the bank doesn’t allow partial withdrawal of recurring deposits.
Ques. Is it mandatory to set up standing instruction on RD?
Ans. You will be asked to make the payment online in case you are opening an e-RD account. However, once the account is opened, the RD installments can be easily paid either online or at a branch instead of setting up standing instructions.
Ques. How to add nominees to RD account?
Ans. Nominees can be added while opening an RD account online by providing the details of the nominee.