PAN is an abbreviation for Permanent Account Number. It is a 10-character alphanumeric number that is assigned to each PAN Card bearer. It aids in the identification of the PAN Card bearer or income taxpayer. PAN Cards are necessary when receiving a taxable salary or professional fees, opening a bank account, purchasing or selling assets over the prescribed limit, and so on. PAN cards are government-issued identity cards that are useful everywhere you go.
Your PAN Card information is easily accessible through a variety of channels. Search PAN can help you locate your PAN data based on your PAN number. This service is designed to assist cardholders in obtaining PAN Card-related information. It also assists users in verifying their PAN Card information. Search PAN is really simple to use. Individuals can also look for and verify bulk pan card numbers.
Know PAN Details through PAN Number
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax Department e-Filing website.
Step 2: Click the “Register Yourself” button and enter your PAN Card number.
Step 3: Fill up and submit the Registration Form.
Step 4: Your email address will be given a link. To activate your account, click on this link.
Step 5: Enter your account and click on “My Account” at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/UserLogin/LoginHome.html.
Step 6: Navigate to Profile Settings and choose PAN Details.
Step 7: Your information will be created. You will be given your name, area code, jurisdiction, address, and other details.
PAN Number Search by Name and Date of Birth
There is no such mechanism for checking your PAN Card data by Name and Date of Birth; however, you may always check your PAN Card data by confirming your PAN and entering your name and date of birth. Here’s how you may accomplish it by following the instructions below:
Step 1: Visit the official Income Tax E-Filing website at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home.
Step 2: Under the section “Quick Links,” click on “Verify your PAN Details.”
Step 3: To proceed, enter your PAN, complete name, and date of birth.
Step 4: Choose your status: individual, Hindu undivided family, an association of persons, body of individuals, corporation, government, artificial juridical person, local authority, firm, or trust.
Step 5: For verification, enter the “Captcha Code” from the provided box.
Step 6: Select the “Submit” option.
Step 7: You will be led to a new page that states, “Your PAN is Active and the information matches the PAN Database.”
How to Update PAN Card Information
The PAN card can be updated by the following steps:
- Go to the NSDL site and select the ‘update PAN’ section Select option “Correction” in existing PAN data
- Copy of (POI/POA) supporting documents is required and the form must be filled using only capital letters
Follow this process:
- Fill in all the fields for updating
- Mobile number is compulsory for any updates to take place
- Fill the form in English and the local language used at the time of enrolment
- Make sure the form is filled only with current and relevant details
- Names must not have salutations such as Mr / Mrs / Ms / Dr
- Make sure that the complete address is filled in for the PAN to be dispatched to the address
- Enter name clearly with signature or thumbprints when self-attesting supporting documents
- Attach relevant documents that support the required update only
- Incorrect information and lack of support documents will cause the application to be rejected
PAN Card Number Details and Information
PAN cards carry information such as identification and age evidence, and they also adhere to Know Your Customer (KYC) rules. The following are the PAN card details:
- Individual/Company Name of the Cardholder
- Name of the cardholder’s father — Only applicable to individual cardholders.
- Date of birth — In the case of a person, the cardholder’s date of birth is specified, whereas, in the case of a corporation or corporation, the date of registration is specified.
- PAN Number — It is a ten-character alpha-numeric number, with each character representing unique information about the cardholder.
- The first three letters are strictly alphabetical, including three letters from A to Z.
- The fourth letter reflects the taxpayer’s category. The following are the numerous entities and their corresponding characters:
- A – Association of Persons
- B – Body of Individuals
- C – Company
- F – Firms
- G – Government
- H – Hindu Undivided Family
- L – Local Authority
- J – Artificial Judicial Person
- P – Individual
- T – Association of Persons for a Trust
- The fifth letter – the fifth letter is the individual’s surname’s initial letter.
- The remaining letters and characters are chosen at random. The first four characters are numerals, while the final one is an alphabet.
- Individual signature – The PAN Card also serves as verification of the individual’s signature, which is essential for financial transactions.
- Individual photograph – The PAN serves as visual identification evidence for the individual. In the case of corporations and firms, there is no portrait on the card.
Importance of PAN Details
There are several reasons why having a valid PAN card is essential nowadays. Here are a few examples:
- For employment: Almost all businesses want your PAN card information for payroll accounting and taxation purposes. When deducting TDS, professional tax, and so on, this is essential. It is also required when submitting income tax returns.
- Proof of identity: PAN cards are accepted as legitimate proof of identification and picture evidence for a range of purposes, including establishing a bank account and obtaining a gas connection.
- Banking: A PAN card is required for opening a bank account and for other banking-related financial operations. This is necessary for all types of banks, including public, private, rural, and cooperative banks. This has been made necessary to prevent money laundering.
PAN Card Details – FAQs
Q1. How Do I Fill Out a Pan Card Application Form Using My Surname As An Initial?
You cannot use an initial as your surname while applying for a PAN card. The only option available to applicants is to have simply their surname printed on their PAN card. This may be accomplished by entering simply the surname in the application form and leaving the spaces for first and middle names blank.
Q2. If I change my name, would my PAN card number change?
No, because it is a Permanent Account Number, your PAN will remain the same even if your name changes.
Q3. After submitting such a request, how long does it take for a modification to be made in the PAN card details?
The adjustment would take at least 15-20 days to be shown on the PAN card.
Q4. Is it possible to obtain a PAN card for my young child?
Yes, a minor can obtain a PAN card provided an application is submitted on their behalf by a Representative Assessee.
Q5. Can I obtain a PAN card even if I am not compelled by law to do so?
Yes, even though they are not needed by law, anyone can apply for a PAN card willingly.