Employer certificate is specified as one of the papers that can be accepted as address evidence in Rule 114 (4) of the Income Tax Rules, 1962, which specifies the documents acceptable as proofs to apply for a new PAN card. When no alternative proof of residence is available, salaried persons and those belonging to the Hindu undivided family (HUF) category can utilize an employer certificate in original as evidence of address.

Employer Certificate to be an Address Proof

An employer certificate is a written document in which the applicant’s employer verifies that the individual resides at a certain address and that the location has been confirmed. Companies typically perform background checks as part of their recruitment process, which usually includes address verification. They confirm that their employee lives at the same address with the same confidence. The Income Tax Department also deems it to be valid proof since any discrepancy in information would render the employer responsible, and no employer would take such a risk.

Annexure-b: PAN Application for Employer Certificate:

Applicants who desire to utilize an employment certificate as proof of address when applying for a PAN card do not need to get everything on their own. They can utilize the pre-defined format to do the same thing. Employer certificates for PAN applications are offered as ‘Annexure-B’ to PAN application forms. The employer must submit a certificate in a similar style, written on the original letterhead of the organization/institution where the applicant is employed. Other generic certificate formats are not allowed.

The download of Annexure-b PAN Form:

  • Annexure-B, or the employer certificate, for PAN applications can be obtained from the websites of UTI Infrastructure Technology (UTIITSL) and the Tax Information Network of IT Department (TIN-NSDL).
  • The form may be found on the UTI-ITSL website under Services > PAN card > Apply for a new PAN card > Annexure B.
  • Annexure B form may be found on the TIN-NSDL website under Downloads > PAN.

When to Use Annexure-b as an Address Proof?

Assume you’ve recently relocated to a new home or city. It is not simple to obtain address proof right away. In such instances, Annexure-B might be used as evidence of address. Because the employer includes the firm address in the form, the form can also be used as proof of office address.

Information Needed to Fill the Annexure-b PAN Form:

  • The authorization certificate should be provided by the employer on the company’s original letterhead.
  • A passport-sized picture, identical to the one used on the PAN application, must be attached by the applicant.
  • The photo should be confirmed by the employer, who should sign and stamp it.
  • Details to be filled in include the applicant’s full name, father’s name, years of experience with the organization, office address, residential address, registration number of the company/institution, PAN number of the company institution/company, details of the individual issuing the certificate, including his/her full name, designation, PAN number of the individual, office address, telephone number, and email address and phone number.
  • It should include the concerned individual’s signature and the official seal at the bottom.

The completed and certified form must then be attached to and submitted with your PAN application.

Alternative Address Proof to Apply for PAN Card:

To refresh your memory, below is a list of papers that can be used as address verification when applying for a PAN card. Applicants, unlike Annexure-B, may provide a copy of the proofs rather than the originals.

  • Aadhaar card
  • Elector’s photo identity card
  • Passport
  • Driving license
  • The bill for electricity (not more than three months old)
  • a bill for a landline phone or a broadband connection (not more than three months old)
  • The water bill (not more than three months old)
  • Gas connection card, book, or piped gas bill (not more than three months old)
  • Statement of bank accounts (not more than three months old)
  • Statement of Depository Account (not more than three months old)
  • Statement of credit card use (not be more than three months old)
  • Domicile Certificate
  • Spouse Passport
  • Post Office Passbook
  • Latest Property Tax Assessment
  • Property Registration Document


Q1. Is a business address required for a PAN card?

Individuals, HUFs, AOPs, BOIs, and AJPs must provide a residence address. This field should be left blank for all other candidates. Office Location: (1) In the case of persons whose source of income is a salary or a business or profession, the name of the office and address must be stated.

Q2. What credentials are required to apply for a pan card?

Documents Required for Individuals and HUFs to Apply for a PAN Card (Being Citizens of India)

  • Voter identification card
  • Passport.
  • Aadhar card is a government-issued identification card.
  • The applicant’s picture is on the ration card.
  • Driver’s License
  • Photo ID cards issued by the federal government, state governments, or any public sector entity

Q3. Can I apply for a PAN card without having an Aadhar card?

Aadhaar will be regarded as a supporting document. There is no need to submit a PAN application form and accompanying documentation to NSDL e-Gov. Original papers, as defined in Rule 114(4) of the Income Tax Rules of 1962.

Q4. What is the minimum age to obtain a PAN card?

According to section 160 of the Income Tax Act, children are allowed to apply for a PAN card because there is no age restriction mentioned in the Act. PAN cards can be obtained for children under the age of five, and they serve as permanent identification evidence regardless of changes in name or address.

Q5. How does a non-resident obtain a PAN card?

A non-resident Indian (‘NRI’) can apply for a PAN by sending Form No. 49A, along with the necessary papers and fees, to the PAN application center of UTIITSL or NSDL. He can also apply online using the websites of UTIITSL or NSDL.