Every PAN allotted by the Income Tax Department is valid for a lifetime. There are instances where one can lose the PAN Card, or it can even be stolen, and in certain situations, it could be damaged. In such cases, the Income Tax Department issues a duplicate PAN Card on request.
When a request for the duplicate PAN Card is raised, the PAN details and number remain the same without a change, only a new PAN Card is issued, and all the other information remains as it was in the lost/stolen, or damaged PAN. The Income Tax Department has made it very easy to get a duplicate PAN Card. Here is how you could get it done.
PAN Card Download
The Chief of the Central Board of Direct Taxes stated in the Union Budget 2019 that the government will establish centers around the country to ease e-PAN card applications.
With your Acknowledgement number, PAN, and date of birth, you may get a soft copy of your PAN card (e-PAN card) from the NSDL webpage.
The process on how to download PAN card online
Step 1: Visit the NSDL portal to download the e-PAN with the acknowledgment number.
Step 2: Enter your acknowledgment number.
Step 3: Click on the option that says ‘Generate OTP.’
Step 4: Enter the OTP you received on your number and then click on the ‘submit’ option.
Step 5: Click on the option that says ‘download PDF’ and download the PAN Card instantly.
Steps for an e PAN card download
Step 1: Visit ‘download e-pan NSDL portal.’
Step 2: Enter all of the details that are required on the form; date of birth, PAN, Captcha, and more.
Step 3: Finally, click on the ‘submit’ option and download the ePAN for free.
How to Get a Duplicate PAN Card?
Obtaining a duplicate PAN card is a straightforward process. The application can be submitted via the official website, TIN-NSDL, or in paper form to the NSDL’s PAN services unit. Online duplicate card applications save a significant amount of time and money. Let’s have a look at how it may be done online:
- Visit TIN-NSDL and choose the application type “Changes or corrections in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN card (specify ‘No changes in existing PAN data’). (If your PAN card is lost, forgotten, or stolen, you should reprint it without altering any of the information.)
- Fill in the essential fields and then submit the form.
- A token number will be produced and delivered to the email address you entered on the previous page. Make a note of the token number for future reference, and then proceed with the application filing.
- Fill out the essential information in the “Personal Details” tab and choose the mode of submission for your PAN application form. The three possible modes are as follows:
- Physically provide application paperwork: The acknowledgment form generated after payment must be printed, together with the copies of papers requested, and mailed to the NSDL’s PAN services section.
- Submit digitally using e-KYC and e-sign (paperless): Aadhaar is required to use this option, and all of the information provided in your Aadhaar should be utilized alone in the duplicate PAN card application. An OTP will be given to the Aadhaar registered phone to verify the information supplied. It is not necessary to upload a photo, signature, or any other papers. When using this option to submit the completed form, a digital signature (DSC) will be required to e-sign the form. iii. Submit scanned photos through e-sign: Aadhaar is required for this option, however, you must submit scan images of your portrait, signature, and other documents. Only an OTP will be required to authenticate the application form.
- Then you must decide whether you require a physical PAN card or an e-PAN card. If you choose an e-PAN card, you must supply a valid email address. The digitally signed e-PAN card will be sent to the email address given.
- Fill out the “Contact & other details” and “document details” pages before applying.
- You will be routed to the payment page, and once you have made your payment, an acknowledgment will be created.
- Using the 15-digit acknowledgment number generated, you may verify the status of your duplicate PAN card.
- After the department accepts the application, the duplicate PAN card will be sent out within two weeks.
When to Apply for Duplicate PAN Card
|Loss/theft:||Because people frequently carry their PAN cards in their wallets or pockets, they will probably be lost if their wallet/purse is stolen. Multiple applications to the department are fairly prevalent in India.
In case of theft, an FIR of theft needs to be filed, and a copy of the FIR needs to be sent along with the application and other supporting documents.
|Misplaced:||There are several instances where people leave the card somewhere and then are unaware of where they keep it.|
|Damaged:||The sole option for any type of damage to the current PAN card needs to be led to the PAN Card reprint.|
Duplicate PAN card – FAQs
Q1. What kind of details do I need to provide to know my PAN?
To obtain your PAN, you must supply information such as your name, father’s name, and date of birth.
Q2. Do I have to re-link my Aadhaar with PAN after getting a duplicate one?
If your PAN number has not changed, you do not need to link your Aadhaar to your PAN.
Q3. I misplaced my PAN and cannot recall my PAN number. What am I supposed to do?
If you have forgotten your PAN and do not recall the PAN Number, you can retrieve it by utilizing the Income Tax Department’s “Know Your PAN” service. This is available on the Income Tax Department’s official website.
Q4. What fee do I have to pay to register for a duplicate PAN?
When applying for a duplicate PAN Card, you must pay a registration cost of Rs.110.
Q5. Will I have to file an FIR at the local police station if my PAN Card was stolen?
Yes, you must acquire a copy of the FIR declaring that your PAN Card was stolen. It will serve as documentation that you have misplaced your PAN card and will aid you in the process of obtaining a duplicate card.