Aadhaar number is a 12-digit unique identifying number provided by the UIDAI (“Authority”) to residents of India who have completed the Authority’s verification process. Anyone who is a resident of India, regardless of age or gender, can freely enroll to receive an Aadhaar number. Aadhaar cards are also essential to receive government subsidies and benefits. However, to avoid any delays, Aadhaar Card must be updated.
Why Update Aadhaar?
The primary goal of the Aadhaar Scheme is to improve the delivery of social security payments and subsidies by plugging in leakages and wastes, removing fakes and duplicates, and increasing openness and accountability.
UIDAI was established to issue Unique Identification Numbers (UIDs), often known as “Aadhaar’s,” to all Indian citizens. Therefore, the UID had to be (a) robust enough to avoid duplicate and fraudulent identities, as well as (b) easily verifiable and authenticable.
A person can change and update their crucial information on their identification proof, such as name, address, gender, and date of birth, by upgrading their Aadhaar card details. Here’s all an applicant needs to know about updating Aadhaar details.
Aadhar card Updation/Correction
To change the Aadhar card information, there are two options:
- By going to an Aadhar enrolment center/Aadhar Seva center.
- Through the UIDAI website (for address only)
Steps to Change Aadhar details by visiting the enrolment center/Aadhar Seva Kendra
Step 1. Fill out the Aadhaar correction form, which can be found here: https://uidai.gov.in/images/aadhaar enrolment correction form version 2.1.pdf.
Step 2. Provide the correct information and not the information from the Aadhaar card.
Step 3. Obtain self-attested copies of proofs that support the request for an update.
Step 4. Complete the form and attach any supporting papers.
Step 5. A fee of Rs. 25 must be paid whenever visited to the enrolment center for an update or correction.
Step 6. Updation of biometric data, photographs, cell phone numbers, and other information can be done at the enrolling center.
Step 7. At the enrolling center, an applicant can also modify or update the Aadhaar Card mobile number.
Step 8. Aadhaar card can also be updated by going to other banks. Axis Bank Aadhaar update, for example, allows updating the Aadhaar Card simply by visiting an Axis bank office.
Steps to Change Aadhaar Card Information Online
To update, change, or rectify the information on the Aadhaar card online, follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Select “Update your Address Online” from the Aadhaar Self-Service Update Portal.
Step 2: Click “Proceed to Update Address” if ample address evidence is needed.
Step 3: Type a 12-digit Aadhaar number in the new box and choose “Send OTP” or “Enter a TOTP” from the drop-down menu.
Step 4. You will receive an OTP on the mobile number registered in UIDAI’s database.
Step 5. Enter this OTP and log in to your Aadhaar account. You can also use the TOTP feature as an alternative to authenticate
Step 6: Choose either “Update Address by Address Proof” or “Update Address via Secret Code” as the preferred update method.
Step 7. Click the “Preview” option after entering the residential address from the Proof of Address (PoA).
Step 8: Click the “Modify” option if needed to change the address; otherwise, tick the declaration and click the “Submit” button.
Step 9: Choose the type of document to be submitted as a POA for verifying, and a scanned image of the address proof should be uploaded and click the “Submit” button.
Step 10: The Aadhaar update request will be accepted, and a 14-digit URN is generated.
Steps on How to Update/Change Aadhaar Mobile Number
Step 1: Visit the Aadhaar Enrolment/Update Seva Centre.
Then, fill out the Aadhaar Update Form in Step 2.
Step 3: Enter the current phone number only in the box.
Step 4: It is not necessary to give the previous phone number.
Step 5: To update the phone number, no need to provide any documentation.
Step 6: The executive will register the request.
Step 7: The acknowledgment slip with the URN will be delivered.
Step 8: A fee of Rs. 50 is required to use this service.
Steps on how to Change Address in Aadhaar Card
Step 1: Visit the https://ssup.uidai. gov. in/ssup/ to access the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal.
Step 2: Click ‘Proceed to Update Address’ if the address proof is valid.
Step 3: If the applicant doesn’t have a valid address proof, they can use the Aadhaar number and the Captcha Verification code to log in.
Step 4: Now press the ‘Send OTP’ button, which will send an OTP to the registered phone number.
Step 5: To authenticate, the applicant can also use the TOTP functionality.
Step 6: Select the ‘Login’ option from the drop-down menu.
Step 7: Select either ‘Update Address Via Address Proof’ or ‘Update Address Via Secret Code’ to update your address.
Step 8: Now, fill in all of the details that need to be corrected, and correct the address completely.
If there are any problems with the Pin Code or any related data (State/District/Village/Town/City/Post office), contact the UIDAI contact center at [email protected]
To Select the Address correction option, the applicant has to include the Guardian/Parent/Spouse name in the address. Then, in C/o details, the candidate can check the relevant box and type the person’s name in the text area. C/o information can be altered as part of an address change.
Step 9: Finally, the coloured scanned copies of POA paperwork should be uploaded.
Step 10: The data entered should be checked in both English and the local language.
Step 11: A request should be sent. For following the Aadhaar Update status, make a note of your Update Request Number (URN).
Documents Required for Aadhar Card Update/Correction
The following documents are necessary for updating or amending an Aadhar card:
Supported Proof of Identity (PoI) Documents Required
- Pan Card.
- Either Ration or PDS Photocard.
- Voter ID.
- Applicants DL.
- Photo ID cards circulated by Government.
- Service photo ID cards that are provided by PSU.
- NREGS job cards.
- Photo Identification issued by some Recognised Educational Institution.
- Licence of Arms.
- Photo Bank ATM card.
- Photo Credit card.
- Photo card of the Pensioner.
- Photo card of the Freedom Fighter.
- Photo Passbook of Kisan.
- Photo card of CGHS.
- Marriage Certificate.
- Legally approved name change certificate
- ECHS Photocard.
- The applicant’s residence address card containing both name and photo initially issued by the Department of Posts.
- Identity Certificate bearing the applicant’s photo on a proper letterhead given by either the Gazetted manager or at Tehsildar office.
- Handicapped medical certificate or a disability ID.
Supported Proof of address (POA) Documents Required
- Bank statement in which the applicant holds an account.
- Bank Passbook of the applicant.
- Passbook or account statement of the Post Office.
- Ration Card.
- Voter Id.
- DL of the applicant.
- Photo identification cards issued by the Government.
- PSU issued a Service photo ID card.
- Previous 3 months’ electricity bill.
- Previous 3 months water bill.
- Previous 3 months’ landline bill linked to the telephone.
- Property Tax Receipt of the last 3 months.
- Credit Card statement of last 3 months.
- Insurance policy.
- Photo and signed letter on the letterhead of the organization provided by the registered office.
- On the letterhead, there should be a photo and a signed letter from a well-known educational institution.
- NREGS job card.
- Pensioner card.
- Arms licence.
- Freedom fighter card.
- Kisan passbook.
- ECHS card.
- CGHS card.
- Address certificate with a photo on their letterhead issued either by an MP, MLA, Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar.
- Address Certificate issued by Village Panchayat head or any equivalent to them for rural areas.
- Income Tax Assessment order.
- Vehicle Registration certificate.
- Registered agreement for the applicant’s residential address to be sold, leased, or rented.
- Address card and photo issued by the Department of Posts.
- Domicile and caste certificate with a photo that the State Government has issued.
- Previous 3 month’s gas bill.
- Handicapped medical certificate or a disability Id given by either State Government, UT Government or any Administrations
- Partner’s or Spouse’s passport.
- Parents’ passport is required.
Documents required to Support Proof of Date of Birth (DOB)
- Birth Certificate.
- SSLC Certificate.
- Applicants Passport.
- DOB Certificate on their letterhead issued by either the Tehsildar or the Gazetted Officer.
These are the documents that can be used to correct or update the information on your Aadhar card. The cardholder must ensure that the documents attached to the correction form validate the changes they have made.
Aadhar card Update and Correction – FAQs
1.Is it possible to use an Aadhaar card as proof of identity while applying for a home loan, a credit card, or a personal loan?
Yes, the Aadhaar card serves as proof of identification and residency. Hence, it can be used to apply for a home loan, a credit card, or a personal loan.
2.Should I also submit my request for an update in a local language?
You are free to submit the update request in any language you like. When updating Aadhar information, language is not an issue.
3.What if my phone number isn’t registered with the Aadhaar authorities?
If your phone isn’t registered with UIDAI, you won’t be able to use any of the Aadhaar-related online services. You may link your phone number to Aadhaar by going to an Aadhaar Enrolment Center.
4.My Aadhaar card does not have my phone number on it. So, how can I update my Aadhar card information online?
You have the option of using an unregistered cell phone number to verify your identity. You can use this service online if you have not yet registered your cell phone number with Aadhaar.
5.Is it necessary to include the salutation if I’m requesting a name correction by mail?
When applying to make changes to your Aadhaar, no salutation is required. To update your name on your Aadhar card, all you have to do is mention your proper name.