The UIDAI had implemented this capability, which became completely operational by June 1st, 2018. Virtual ID was created to solve the issue of the Aadhaar data leak since tracking the Aadhaar number from the virtual ID would be very difficult. You may use your Aadhar virtual ID to complete your e-KYC at both private and government organizations. Virtual ID Aadhar is a 16-digit temporary number that may be used to authenticate Aadhaar. You can offer the UIDAI virtual ID to agencies instead of your Aadhaar number, preventing unauthorized access to your Aadhaar information.
Aadhaar VID Meaning
A virtual ID number can be used instead of an Aadhaar number. This temporary code is made up of 16 numbers that are produced in response to an Aadhaar number.
However, the virtual ID cannot be utilized to obtain the real Aadhaar card. Only one virtual ID is produced against an Aadhaar number at a time. It may be created an unlimited number of times by the user. This revocable code is good for at least one day and can be changed when the date changes, i.e. at 00:00 a.m.
Generation of Aadhar Card Virtual ID
To utilize it with your Aadhaar, you must first generate the virtual ID. The virtual ID may be generated online by visiting the official website of the UIDAI. It is also suggested that a VID generating capability be added to the mAadhaar app in the future.
You must have a registered mobile number with UIDAI in order to use this service, as the virtual ID will be transmitted to your cell phone. If you have not already registered your mobile number with UIDAI, you must first link your mobile number with Aadhaar. The procedure for obtaining a virtual ID is the same as that for generating a VID. You may generate the Aadhaar virtual ID by following these steps:
1: Go to the Aadhaar Virtual ID page at https://resident.uidai.gov.in/web/resident/vidgeneration.
2: In the box provided, enter your Aadhaar number and the security code.
3: Click on “Send OTP,” and you will receive the OTP on your registered phone number.
4: Enter your OTP in the field provided on the screen, choose the Generate / Retrieve VID option, and then click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page.
Your 16-digit Virtual ID number will now be delivered to your Email ID and Aadhaar-registered cellphone number.
Features of the Aadhaar Virtual ID
The VID has enabled UIDAI to improve its system in a variety of ways. The following are some of the most notable characteristics of the virtual ID:
- The virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit code that will be used to authenticate instead of Aadhaar.
- At any one moment, only one virtual ID is issued. When a new VID is assigned, the old one is removed.
- Agencies must upgrade their systems to accommodate VIDs by June 1st, 2018.
- The virtual ID cannot be used to get the Aadhaar number.
- There is no limit to the number of virtual IDs that can be generated.
- It is not required to produce VIDs. Instead of a VID, a person might provide his Aadhaar.
- Agencies cannot make applicants give their Aadhaar number for e-KYC or verification.
- Agencies must get the user’s permission before employing VID authentication.
- No agency is permitted to keep the virtual ID or any other Aadhaar information obtained for authentication.
- The virtual ID will be valid until the user creates a new one.
- The last created VID is provided to the registered cellphone number when you recover your Aadhaar.
Need of the Aadhaar Virtual ID
A number of incidents have been reported in which accusations of Aadhaar data leakage have been made. People have been concerned about the security of their Aadhaar numbers and personal information. People’s worries have been addressed by UIDAI, which has created a virtual ID.
When consumers give virtual IDs instead of Aadhaar, agencies are unable to access the applicant’s Aadhaar number, and authentication proceeds as usual. As a result, the Aadhaar information is not accessible in any way by the authorities, keeping the Aadhaar number and other details safe from being stolen.
Holders of Aadhaar can generate the virtual ID and use it to authenticate for a service. Once the authentication is complete, the applicant can renew his virtual ID, rendering any information kept with the agency obsolete.
Benefits of Aadhaar Virtual ID
- Obtaining precise information that is necessary. This protects important data from being misused.
- It will relieve agencies of the hassle of obtaining each individual’s Aadhaar number and storing it for KYC purposes.
- Since virtual IDs are revocable, there is little likelihood of duplication.
Aadhar Virtual ID – FAQs
Q1. What happens when I regenerate my Virtual ID?
The initial VID you obtain has a minimum validity duration of one calendar day. If you regenerate your VID after that, the old one will be deactivated and the regenerated one will become your new VID. If you try to obtain your VID in the future, you will be given the most current VID (the most recently active VID).
Q2. What is the difference between retrieving and regenerating a Virtual ID?
Retrieving a VID implies obtaining a VID that you previously assigned. Regenerating a VID means creating a new VID and invalidating the old one.
Q3. I haven’t linked my phone to Aadhaar. Can I create my own VID?
To use any online services linked to Aadhaar, you must link your cellphone number to it. If you haven’t already connected your cellphone number to Aadhaar, you’ll need to do so by visiting a local Aadhaar Enrolment Centre before you may generate the virtual ID.
Q4. I am not in possession of an Aadhaar card. Is it possible for me to obtain a virtual ID?
The Aadhaar number is used to produce the Virtual ID. If you do not have an Aadhaar card, you must first apply for one, then after you have your Aadhaar, you may create your virtual ID.
Q5. I’ve got my Enrolment ID. Is it possible for me to create a virtual ID?
Only an Aadhaar number may be used to generate a virtual ID. As of currently, there is no service for generating VIDs from Enrolment Numbers.