No. You do not need a demat account to invest in mutual funds. There are several ways to invest in mutual funds.
Ways to Invest in Mutual Funds
- Broker on the Stock Exchange: This is the demat way. For people who invest in stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and other such similar instruments, it is convenient to be able to see all of their investments in one place. Depending on the type of demat account you have, you may be charged an annual fee, a transaction fee, or both.
- By AMC: You can also invest in a mutual fund by visiting the AMC website directly. Needless to say, you can only invest in mutual funds of one AMC this way. Investing in mutual funds of only one AMC is also a bad strategy because it prevents diversification. AMCs will obviously try to promote their own mutual funds instead of recommending mutual funds from other AMCs that might be necessary to shield you from risk.
- Offline Distributors: There are various online and offline distributors via whom you can invest in a host of mutual funds. In the case of offline distributors, upon investing, you will be given a physical paper acknowledgement of your investment.
- Online distributors: Online distributors usually offer a completely paperless experience with complete tracking and the other related controls. You can also track all your investments in one place, so it’s easier to decide when to redeem. All of these services are free of cost to the investor.
Reasons Why You Should Invest in Mutual Funds
#1 Easy to Register: You can register with us and start investing in less than 2 working days if your documents are in order.
Invest In Mutual Funds
- Earn higher returns by investing in direct mutual funds
- Start investing in less than 2 mins
- It's FREE
#2 Completely Free: Groww does not charge any fee to its customers. Whether you invest lump sum, via SIP, or simply want to track your investments, Groww does not charge you any amount. We get a small distributor’s commission from mutual funds upon investment by you.
#3 Invest from Anywhere: You can invest in mutual funds from anywhere in the world! Our entire operation is online and does not require you to physically visit any place.
#4 Paperless: The entire process of opening an account with us is paperless. We do not ask you to send us photocopies of your documents. Instead, you simply click pictures of them and upload directly to our website.
#5 Online In-Person-Verification: If you are not KYC compliant, we can get your in-person-verification done online too. This is done over a video call.
#6 Existing Portfolios: If you are new to investing in mutual funds, you can take advantage of existing portfolios of mutual funds to choose the ones which suit you best.
Here are some examples of popular portfolios on groww.in: