Term Insurance is the type of life insurance in which If death occurs during the policy tenure, then his or her nominee will receive the sum assured. If the insured survives till the end of the policy period, then he or she will not get any maturity amount.
These policies have low premium and cover large risk.
Invest In Mutual Funds
- Earn higher returns by investing in direct mutual funds
- Start investing in less than 2 mins
- It's FREE
In this article
- 5 Best Term Insurance Plans
- 1. LIC e-Term Insurance Plan
- 2.ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
- 4.HDFC Click 2 Protect Plus
- 5.Max Online Term Plan Plus
5 Best Term Insurance Plans
1. LIC e-Term Insurance Plan
The e-term plan is a non-participating pure life insurance scheme which can be purchased only through the online mode without the involvement of any middle men. Pure life insurance cover implies that only the policy holder’s life is covered.
If the policyholder happens to die during the duration of the plan, then the beneficiaries of the policyholder are given the sum assured. If the policy holder survives the duration of the e term plan, then no sum is paid to the policyholder and his family members or beneficiaries.
A non-participating policy is meant that the policy does not participate in the profit through unit-linked plans and no dividends are paid on this policy.
Source: Insurance Loot
Features of LIC e-Term Insurance Plan
- Plan can be purchased online
- Different premium rates are charged for smokers and non-smokers
- In case of death of the policy holder, sum assured will be paid
- The purchaser can return the policy within 30 days of purchasing the policy with reasons if he is not convinced with the terms and conditions of the policy
- It is less costly than the offline term plan of LIC
- Non-Resident Individuals can also purchase the LIC Online e-term plan and will be covered even if they are abroad, provided they are in the country for medical tests
Benefits of LIC e-Term Insurance Plan
1.Death Benefit: In case of an unfortunate death of the insured during the policy term, the sum assured shall be payable to his or her nominee which can be a dependent family member.
2.Maturity Benefit: If the policyholder survives till the end of the policy term, no amount shall be given to him or his family members. Pure term plans do not pay anything on maturity and hence are able to charge such less premium.
3. Income Tax Benefit: Life insurance premium paid up to Rs.1,50,000 every year is allowed as a deduction from the taxable income each year under section 80C of the Income Tax Act.
Death Benefit amount paid to the nominee is also exempted from tax under section 10(10D).
A concern that purchasers of this plan have is that an online plan has exclusions hidden in the fine print. The low premium charged by online term plans only add to their doubts.
A 32 year old man or woman can purchase a cover of Rs. 1 crore for a premium of Rs 7,000 to 8,000 per year. This has led many policy purchasers to think there is a catch and the insurance company will not pay the claim.
The premium of online insurance is less because of the following reasons:
- There is no intermediary, so the agent’s commission is passed on to the client.
- The online purchaser is seen as a low-risk client by insurers. He is assumed to be educated and earns reasonably well.
He is also concerned about protection and is likely to have health insurance as well.In case of a medical emergency, he may be able to reach the hospital and avail medical treatment. All these factors reduce risk and therefore, lower the premium.
Criteria for Purchasing the E-Term Plan
|Entry Age||Minimum 18 yrs|
Maximum 60 yrs.
For aggregate category Rs. 25,00,00
For non-smoker category Rs 50,00,000
|Policy term||Minimum: 10 yrs|
Maximum: 35 years
|Premium payment frequency||Annual Premium Payment|
|Income||Proposer should have own earned income|
|Person covered||Only life of proposer is covered.|
2.ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
This term insurance plan provided by ICICI is the only plan that offers claim payment on diagnosis of 34 critical illness. Under this plan, an insured can get cover up to 75 years of age and he can get three types of tax benefits.
Features of ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
- It fits into the insured’s budget
- It gives the insured longer cover
- It pays on diagnosis of any of the 34 listed critical illness
- It gives 4 payout options to pick from
- It pays life cover on terminal illness (including AIDS)
- It gives the insured an option to add accidental benefit now, or later
Source: The Investment Mania
Benefits of ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
1.Life-Nominee will receive the gains only in case of demise of a policyholder or terminal illness of policyholders.
Along with that, if the policyholder is diagnosed with permanent disabilities due to an accident, then he will not have to pay future premiums. The policy will continue normally without any premium payment from the person insured.
2.Life Plus-Along with “Life” option gives the insured accidental rider benefit.
3.Life & Health-Along with “Life” option gives the insured critical illness rider benefit.
It covers 34 major illnesses. The policyholder will get the full benefit irrespective of the actual cost of treatment. This gain can be exercised only once during the policy period.
Variants of ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
|Life & Health|
Protection Benefits of ICICI Pru iProtect Smart
1.Death and Terminal Illness
The insured’s nominee receives the life cover amount in case of his or her death. The insured gets 100% cash payout of the total life cover amount if you are diagnosed with terminal illness.
The policy will close on payment of either the terminal illness or death benefit.
Terminal Illness refers to the high likelihood of death within the next six months as diagnosed by medical practitioners that specialise in the same.
The company pays all the due premium on the insured’s behalf in case of permanent disability caused due to an accident.
Permanent Disability will be triggered if the insured is unable to perform 3 out of the 6 listed activities permanently and consistently for 6 consecutive months
3.Accidental Death (optional)
In case of death due to an accident, the insured’s nominee receives a lump sum amount called the accident cover.
4.Critical Illness (optional)
On the first occurrence of any of the covered 34 critical illness, the insured receives a lump sum pay-out.
3.SBI Smart Shield
This is a simple term insurance policy that plans to provide financial support to family members in case of an unfortunate event or death of the breadwinner of the family.
This term plan pays sum assured to the nominee in case of death of the insured. The plan lets single premium policyholders surrender the policy after the second year.
The surrender value is calculated as per the pre-specified formula. It does not pay any survival benefit.
Options Available for SBI Smart Shield
1.Level Term Assurance
This is a simple term insurance plan where the nominee gets a sum assured in case of death of the life insured.
2.Increased Term Assurance
This gives increased sum assured amount year on year. This is a good option to take into consideration in case the insured wants his family to consider inflation and live high standard of living.
3.Decreased Term Assurance (Loan Protection)
This plan is for individuals who have a home loan or car loan. This option is not available for others.
4.Decreased Term Assurance (Family income protection)
In this plan, the sum assured would be decreased during the policy term and during the death of the insured.
the nominee would get either regular monthly payment or can choose for a lump sum payment which is available for distribution based on reduced term assurance policy.
Entry age is 18 to 60 years and maturity age is 65 years.
4.HDFC Click 2 Protect Plus
HDFC Life Click 2 Protect Plus is a pure term insurance which gives a large amount of life cover for a really low premium.
The policy also offers added features such
1) Option to increase cover on milestones such as marriage and child birth
2) Accidental Death Benefit to the rider
3) Taking the payout as lumpsum + monthly claim settlement.
Features of HDFC Click 2 Protect Plus
1.Death Benefit: In the case of death of the person insured while the policy is in force, the nominee will get the following benefits:
For single premium policies, 125% of single premium, or sum assured, whichever is higher
For policies other than the single premium type, 10 times the annualized premium, or, 105% of all paid premiums till the date of death, or, sum assured, whichever is higher
2.Life Stage Protection: The Life Stage Protection is an optional cover that is available under the life option of the policy and can be taken after payment of an additional premium.
This cover makes sure that the person insured is financially protected at each stage of life as he/she achieves different milestones. With this add-on feature, one can:
3. Increase Your Sum Assured: One can increase their insurance coverage
4. Reduce the Additional Cover at a Later Stage: This term plan offers the ability to reduce the insured person’s Additional Insurance Cover from the point where he attains 45 years of age.
5.Maturity Benefit: There will be no amount payable when the person insured survives till the end of the policy term.
6.Income Tax Benefit: Life Insurance premium paid up to Rs. 1,50,000 are allowed as a deduction from the taxable income every financial year under section 80C.
The maturity amount he receives from this plan is tax free under section 10(10D)
Options Available for HDFC Click 2 Protect Plus
The Death Benefit as per the above calculations will be paid in lump sum amount on death of the insured person.
2.Extra Life option
The death benefit as mentioned above will be paid as a lump sum amount. An additional benefit equal to the sum assured will be paid if the death is because of an accident.
The Death Benefit as per above calculation is paid as follows:
- 10% of the death benefit will be paid as a lump sum amount at the death of the insured person.
- The rest 90% of the death benefit will be paid on a monthly basis over the subsequent 15 years, i.e., 0.5% of the Death benefit paid each month for the 15 year duration.
Income Plus option
The death benefit as mentioned above is paid in the following way:
- 100% of the death benefit is paid as a lump sum amount at the death of the insured person.
- A monthly income equal to 0.5% of the sum assured will be paid for a tenure of 10 years. This monthly income can be level or rising at 10% per annum, as per the needs of the policyholder.
5.Max Online Term Plan Plus
Max Life brings to you online term plan plus that gives a secure financial future to your loved ones, against the risk of death, disability and disease.
Features of Max Online Term Plan Plus
- Minimum age to purchase the plan is 18
- Maximum age to purchase the cover can be up to 60 years
- Choice of regular income payout options
- Limited pay option for premium payment
- Option to add benefits like accidental death, premium waiver, and critical illness covers on payment of additional premium
- The insured has the option to pay premiums monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually
- For online plans, the freelook period is of 30 days
- A grace period of 15 days is available for payment of regular premium under monthly30 days for other modes
- Maximum covered age of person insured can be up to 85 years for term plans
Options Available for Max Online Term Plan Plus
1.Basic Life Cover
A pure term plan pays a fixed amount to the family of the insured. Under this cover, on death during the plan duration, the sum assured is paid as the death benefit.
2.Life Cover + Monthly Income
A pure term plan pays a fixed amount to the family of the insured + a fixed sum every month.
Under this cover, 100% of the sum assured is paid in lump sum. Thereafter, 0.4% of the sum assured is paid each month for 120 months. Thus, under this cover, the plan pays 148% of the sum assured.
3.Life Cover + Increasing Monthly Income
It is a pure term plan which pays a fixed amount to the family of the insured + a fixed sum every month payable for 10 years that keeps rising by 10% every year to account for the rising living cost.
Under this cover, 100% of the sum assured is paid in lump sum. Thereafter, rising monthly income is paid for the next 120 months.
The first monthly installment is 0.4% of the sum assured which then rises by 10% (simple rate of interest) every year. Thus, this variant pays a total of 169.6% of the Sum Assured.
While selecting a term plan, a person should keep in mind the purpose for which he is taking the term plan. Also he should evaluate all the benefits offered by different term plans and should accordingly decide the plan he intends to take.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are that of the author and not those of Groww