There are many investment options available in India but the most popular ones for short term is listed below
Debt (Giving Loan)
- Saving Account: Very Low Returns
- FD/RD: Fixed Maturity
- Bonds: Not very liquid
- Debt Mutual Funds: Lower Returns than Equities
Equity (Buying Shares)
- Stocks: Very Risky
- Equity Mutual Funds: Risky is short-term
- Gold: Low Returns
- Real Estate: No liquidity
Things that are certain here are
- 10k to be invested
- Need liquidity in 6 months
As you need liquidity in 6 months, Equity will be a risky option for you. So, I would recommend Debt schemes. Go for either RD or Debt Mutual Funds.
Debt Mutual Funds generally provide returns more than FD and are very liquid.